Cannot update Microsoft Works

thumbscrew 23:21 19 Aug 2008

Further to my earlier post about failing to update Works, I still get a message telling me to insert my download discs. I have two and, when I do this it still won't update. These two discs-both of which are genuine-have other items on them, not just Works. I have now discovered that, for some reason I can't fathom, when I load them into my DVD tray, neither of them will open. This perhaps explains why I can't update. Can anyone advise?

sunny staines 19:33 23 Aug 2008

did you try the option i linked too in your earlier post.

thumbscrew 20:52 23 Aug 2008

Hi pal, yes I did and sadly got more confused??? I was given a screen full of file downloads...clicked and downloaded the top one...God knows what I loaded, but nothing appeared on screen.

sunny staines 10:06 24 Aug 2008

on the screen of downloads opt for the USA one save to desktop then unzip it.it unzipped on the desktop and installed ok. the UK one failed to get anywhere.

thumbscrew 19:40 24 Aug 2008

Tried again, it says "Click on download button above", but there isn't one, underneath are dozens of file names taking up the whole page. Sunny,have I got the right link, nothing there says USA?

sunny staines 09:34 25 Aug 2008

click here

the download button is to the far right of the screen opposite the US one. try and download it to you desktop and unzip i have tried to paste the entry below.

KB955428_en-US.cab
1.8 MB
Download

thumbscrew 11:00 25 Aug 2008

Thanks for your help and patience Sunny. Before I downloaded the file I checked my Windows Update and, to my astonishment it now says "No updates available", even though I have been unable to download the aforesaid update???
Anyway, despite that I found the US file and downloaded to desktop.After I clicked on Install it said it was doing that, then nothing further.
Anyway, according to the Updates there is not a further one to install and I remain completely baffled!
Many thanks again.

sunny staines 11:03 25 Aug 2008

the unzip takes a mere second or too and installs in the background quickly.
then a run of updates shows no updates, if all done right.

thumbscrew 11:14 25 Aug 2008

Sorted...thanks Sunny. Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache