Cannot update Malwarebytes or Superantispyware

tonyq 18:02 10 Sep 2010

I am finding that I cannot update Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.
I have just reinstalled Windows XP, and installed the above, along with Avast A/V and Kerio firewall. I used the same set up before the reinstall with no problems. I am guessing it as something to do with the firewall,but have no idea how to set it to allow Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Help please.

john bunyan 18:11 10 Sep 2010

I use PCTools firewall with W7, and SAS and MAB are ok.I had this problem with a bug, which I cleared with a ATI image restore - hope this is not the case with you.Have you tried temorarily disabling the firewall? ( I do not know Kerio)

birdface 18:15 10 Sep 2010

Turn the firewall off and see if you can update them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 10 Sep 2010

Kerio tutorial click here

mfletch 18:18 10 Sep 2010

Also check you have turned off the Windows firewall

tonyq 19:18 10 Sep 2010

I have been able to update Malwarebytes and Superantispyware with Kerio disabled,at least I now no that the problem is Kerio.
Fruit Bat,
I have looked through your link,but still no wiser as what to do to allow Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Guidance would be well appreciated.

VCR97 19:25 10 Sep 2010

Kerio is similar to Sunbelt Personal Firewall. I think that Kerio was the original version. There is a known problem with SPF and MBAM but I'm not aware of a problem with SAS. Have a look here and scroll down to my post at 2034. It or something else in the thread might be helpful. Apologies in advance if it doesn't help.
click here

john bunyan 19:32 10 Sep 2010

On Xp, I had Comodo firewall, but found it intrusive. When I switched to W7, I moved to PCTools free firewall, following advice on the forums. Purely as a suggestion, why not consider downloading PCTools, unistalling Kerio and installing PCTools to see if it works better?

birdface 20:14 10 Sep 2010

Best way to do it is to delete Kerio Firewall then reinstall it and everything should then work Ok.

tonyq 09:39 11 Sep 2010

Hi All,
I reinstalled Kerio firewall,but still had the same problems.
Have now uninstalled Kerio and installed PCTools Firewall as suggested. I can now update Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Thank you all for your help/advice.

birdface 09:59 11 Sep 2010

Hi tonyq I should have said to use Revo uninstaller to remove it completly.
But as you have changed it does not really matter.
I always found Kerio to be one of the easiest Firewalls to use once configured properly.
But best of luck with your new one.It is just a matter of shifting about till you get one that you like and then stay with it.
I use Windows own firewall on W/7 as I am told it is very good.
But would use Kerio again if I was told different.
Mind you once you have used the pay for version you don't want to go back to the free version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone