Cannot type anything in any Internet form

mjd 14:56 03 Jul 2005

I run Windows 98SE and recently had a system crash which required me to reinstall windows. The result of this was that Internet Explore 6 reverted to IE 5 (the version which was installed on my computer when I first got it). However, that's not the problem. IE5 seems to be very mixed up. For example, the "Back" button is labelled "cut" Also I cannot enter any text in any IE form. For example, the Google "Search" box; my on-line banking details; on'line shopping - anything that requires me to type in information. All I can do is enter URLs in the address bar. Does anyone know how I could fix this problem.

I tried re-installin IE6 from a disk. However while the computer goest through all the motions of installing files etc., when it restarts, I'm still on IE5.

regards

MJD

VoG II 15:04 03 Jul 2005

Try a repair click here

I that doesn't work click here

mjd 09:52 04 Jul 2005

Thanks VoG. However, nothing worked. When I used the "RUN rundll32 setupwvb.dll ...." and selected "Repair Internet Explorer", I got a message saying that IE5 couldn't be repaired. In the "Details" screen I got a long list of errors, the first of which said IE5 cannot be repaired due to the following errors:
Version 5.0.2614.3500 of file ACTXPRXY.DLL exists, but the version needs to be greater than 6.0.2800.1100.

There are many more similar errors referring to different files.

Any further thoughts? For example, could I delete all versions of IE and then reload IE6 from a disk or from the Microsoft website? If so, how would I do that as Internet Explorer is no longer appearing in Control Panel under Add/Remove Programs

VoG II 10:06 04 Jul 2005

Try click here

Then load IE6 from a cover disk.

mjd 12:54 06 Jul 2005

As I will be away for several days, I'll hold off trying the latest suggestion until I return. Thanks for help so far.

regards

mjd

recap 13:00 06 Jul 2005

You can download IE6 + Service Pack one from here: click here

stalion 13:04 06 Jul 2005
  mjd 19:42 07 Jul 2005

VOG,

That worked a treat! I've now got IE6 working perfectly. Sincere thanks. You're magic!

mjd

mjd 22:34 07 Jul 2005

Even though I have my home page set to click here in Tools/Internet Options/General, when I connect to the internet I am brought to

click here

When I press the "Home" button it goes to Yahoo.

regards

mjd

VoG II 22:40 07 Jul 2005

Do you have Ad-aware installed? If so start Ad-aware, click on Config (the cogs icon), click on Defaults and change the homepage and search boxes to what you want.

Zion_Lion 23:18 07 Jul 2005

Hi mjd... thuoght I'd just say that you also can download windows 98se service pack from
click here if your interested.
Regards ZL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?