Cannot start XP, in a loop!

Sapins 11:38 26 Jul 2006

After using the Norton removal Tool, successfully it seemed, I have installed Norton System Works 2006 and Norton Firewall 2006, during installation I got a message saying an earlier version of GoBack needed to be removed did I want to do this, I clicked yes and continued to install the new software which includes a newer version of GoBack, but that did not get installed. I decided to use system restore and start again and found that system restore will not work on any restore point going back for over a month. On my last attempt XP has gone into a loop, I get the "choice" screen, Safe Mode, last good configeration, start normally etc; no matter which one I select it very briefly flashes the Windows is starting up screen and then it goes back to the choice screen.

I have a backup with Drive Image 7 but I cannot get it to work and even if I can I have installed a network router since then, will restoring this back up work or make things worse?

Can I boot, or do a repair, from the Windows XP CD?

Am I glad I bought this Laptop!

ArrGee 11:43 26 Jul 2006

Initially, it would be a good idea to use the original system discs supplied with your laptop, to perform a repair on XP.

Sapins 11:56 26 Jul 2006

I don't have any disc's with the laptop, I have the XP CD for the desktop where the problem is.

VoG II 12:07 26 Jul 2006
  Sapins 12:38 26 Jul 2006

I have tried to boot as you say but I am still in the "loop"

VoG II 12:41 26 Jul 2006

Have you (a) changed the setting in the BIOS to boot from the CD and (b) watched for a message like 'Press any key to boot from CD'?

Sapins 12:46 26 Jul 2006

I have changed the settings in the BIOS and the first screen I get just says boot from CD and when I press enter, it goes back into the loop!

Sapins 12:48 26 Jul 2006

It now starts in the loop!

Sapins 12:56 26 Jul 2006

Sorry VoG™, put tje wrong B....Y cd in:-(

Sapins 13:12 26 Jul 2006

Got to screen with Microsoft Windows XP Recovery console.
Typr Exit to quit the recovery console and restart computer.
1: E:\WINDOWS
2. C:\WINDOWS
3. D:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log on to
(To cancel.press ENter)?

VoG II 13:20 26 Jul 2006

You must have pressed R for the Recovery Console instead of Enter to Set Up Windows. If you look again at my 'click here' if you click on the small pictures they will expand and you can see what to do on each screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?