cannot start-up via cd/dvd

swapper 22:26 04 May 2017

Acer Aspire 5332, Windows 10 Home (x64) Version1607 (Build 14393 693) Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported) I had this version of Windows 10 installed on a 500GB hd by a local retailer before I realised that I could get a reinstall direct from Microsoft onto a new HD. I want to remove entirely the shop installation of Windows 10, and put Windows 8 back on it for my wife. I do not want to go back to the retailer! However I cannot get the laptop to load from the cd/dvd drive, I have been into the BIOS and the Drive is first option. The drive is working o.k., plays music etc. but windows 10 just keeps starting. I have tried a .iso disk with Linux on it but still no luck, Any ideas please?
Thanks

rdave13 00:49 05 May 2017

I'm assuming you have a Windows 8.1 iso you are trying to boot from? Why not try Acer's 'back to factory settings' via the recovery partition? You'll have to google that as I don't use Acer machines.

Otherwise disable 'Fast startup' in Windows 10, click here for info.

rdave13 00:55 05 May 2017

I run with hibernation off, cmd (admin), powercfg /hibernate off command.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:19 05 May 2017

Look in the BIOS and see if there is a setting for Legacy boot make sure its enabled then save and exit (F10) boot with the DVD in the drive.

How did you make the DVD you can not just copy an iso file of windows to a disk?

swapper 17:33 05 May 2017

rdave13, thanks for the info. I do not have the Windows 8.i iso, I found the option in Windows 10 to reset, I did this, but I still could not get the cd/dvd drive load first. After making my first post I decided to load the machine with Linux, as I was getting annoyed with myself about the Windows 10 provided by the retailer. The Acer Aspire still would not load via the cd/dvd. As a final effort, I removed the HD from the machine, put it into a docking station, and Formated the HD from there, this is all I really wanted to do, i.e. get rid of windows 10 from the retailer. After returning the Hd to the Acer, I used my Linux .iso disk to install, and this went perfectly. I probably went about this the long winded way, however, with a nudge from here I got there in the end. so thank you all very much. Fruit Bat/\0?|, Thanks, Legacy Boot was enabled

I have never been in this situation before i.e unable to load from the cd/dvd drive, and I wonder if it could have been anything in the Windows 10 installation done by the retailer (who I was not that happy about anyway)?

MJS WARLORD 17:33 05 May 2017

how are you trying to boot from cd , the normal method is to turn on pc and keep tapping f8 until the various options appear then put the cd in and choose boot from cd then press enter .... note some pc use f5 to access the options you are looking for.

WARNING.... i see you mention linux so i presume you have burnt it to disc. if you have not yet installed it be very careful , when i installed linux mint on one of my pc i said yes to most of the partitioning questions and completely destroyed windows... i could not access it or even run a factory reboot disc.

swapper 06:53 11 May 2017

Sorry about the lond delay in answering. I have always had the CD/DVD drive as the first option at startup in the BIOS. I insert the .iso as I turn the PC on and it always goes from there. if I am a bit slow, and my PC misses the option, I insert the disk into the drive and then restart with the disk already in the drive, I have never had a problem. having said that, if I have, it usually was my own fault! As for Linux, this is my main o/s, and I'm pleased to say that I find it an excellent o/s, it is installed on my desktop, window 10 on my Laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\, To get Windows 10 from Microsoft I found a freephone number, and because I wanted to reinstall Windows 10, which I had had from the outset i.e. a free install, and it was on the same laptop, I was talked through a re-install from them, it was an excellent service. You probably already know this, but others who read this may not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?