Cannot share printer through a wireless router

Bruz 21:49 31 Aug 2008

I have printed out sheet after sheet off the Internet on setting up a wireless network and sharing printers.
I have followed the instructions to the letter and I still cannot get either a network link or a printer link to work.
Can any one tell me in simpleton's terms how to do one or both of these what seem to be simple tasks. That is until I try it.
Regards Bruz

ventanas 21:54 31 Aug 2008

Which operating system, because in Vista I did it with three printers on three machines in two minutes.
Make sure that you have turned on all the necessary sharing options in Control Panel\Network and Sharing on all machines you want involved, they should be obvious.
If not Vista then I'm afraid memory is a bit dim now.

Bruz 22:05 31 Aug 2008

Thanks for your quick response, the printer is local to an XP Pro system and the laptop has vista on it. All the options appear to be turned on.
Cheers Bruz

Eric10 22:09 31 Aug 2008

XP and Vista have different default workgroup names. Have you changed one or both to make them the same as is required for networking?

Bruz 22:13 31 Aug 2008

Thanks for the quick reply, that may be the problem. When I get back to the laptop I will check.
Cheers Bruz

Bruz 22:25 31 Aug 2008

You are right, vista uses workgroup and I have a name of a friend on the XP computer, I will change the Xp one to workgroup and see what happens. I will post the out come.
Thanks again.
Cheers Bruz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone