Cannot share files or folders over my network...

Silver_Surfer1 22:25 04 Mar 2006

Hi guys, this is my first post here, been reading up on people's problems up until now, but now I'm the one with a problem!

I have a computer downstairs running XP Home. This is connected to a router, which is connected to my cable modem. Upstairs I have another computer, running XP Pro and wirelessly connecting to the router. I set up the internet okay on all computers; that works fine. I've tried to set up a SOHO network between my home and pro computers, but I cannot get them to share properly. I can see my home computer in the 'workgroup computers' section of my network places (but not in my network places itself). However, the other computer cannot see the pro one. When I try to click on my home comp in workgroup computers I get the following error message:

\\Host is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the network administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

I thought maybe this was because I hadn't shared any files on the home comp. So I shared one file, it came up with setting file permissions, I thought this would work, but no joy; the same message comes up. I have...

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS packet Scheduler
AEGIS Protocol
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

...enabled on both computers.

My home comp's name is HOST1, and my Pro comp is called BEN1. They are both on the MSHOME workgroup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ben

ade.h 23:37 04 Mar 2006

Well, for one thing you need to change that default workgroup name; that - I have discovered - can cause issues with sharing through XP Pro. I've never experienced this myself, as I have always used a unique name.

You don't actually share files - that's a misdescription on Microsoft's part - because you actually assign sharing to folders via the Browse system.

Can you confirm to me that you have run the Add a Network Place Wizard on each PC for every new shared network place? Or have you been doing this some other way? More precise details are required, please.

I'll post back tomorrow PM if possible.

keewaa 11:01 05 Mar 2006

I couldn't get it working without enabling Netbios on both (although it was said this was only for win9x computers) in Network connection - properties - IP protocol TCP/IP - properties - advanced - WINS

Disabled all software firewalls until it is working?

Enable simple file sharing in the XP pro - Folder options - view - scroll down box to bottom and tick

Other links :

click here

click here

FUl2tiV3 11:09 05 Mar 2006

i found click here very useful
the phrase 'If you intend to share files with other computers on your network, ensure that every account you have created has a password.' was one key change i made
like keewaa says, keep firewalls off until sharing in place

Silver_Surfer1 23:52 05 Mar 2006

keewaa was right - Zonealarm was blocking my connection because of the security level. I have solved this by putting my adapter in the trusted zone.

Does this mean I have also compromised my security by doing this? Are the Internet and Trusted Zones in Zonealarm related to the same zones in Internet Options, or do they just share the same name? What I'm flailing around to say is...if I customise my trusted options in Internet Options, will this make a difference to Zonealarms zone settings (so I can allow sharing, but still keep a good defence)?

Thanks for the replies guys :)

mgmcc 08:48 06 Mar 2006

<<< I have solved this by putting my adapter in the trusted zone.

Does this mean I have also compromised my security by doing this? >>>

This is precisely what the "Trusted Zone" is there for - to allow IP addresses that you trust (i.e. your Local Area Network) to communicate freely. Because it only allows those IP addresses through, your Wide Area Network (Internet) security is not compromised.

Silver_Surfer1 20:46 06 Mar 2006

Excellent, thanks for all the replies guys, you've been a great help. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?