Cannot setup a dial-up connection in XP

tricky dicky 2 10:30 02 Jul 2004

Am trying to setup a connection on an XP Professional machine. It previously had NTL on and AOL (software removed with add/remove programs). checked modem diagnostics =OK, checked phone line =OK. Tried loading BT Yahoo disc but drops line when dialog box says connecting. Tried loading Tiscali disk, connects but then dies when loading the setup connection browser.
Can anyone help me?

Terry Brown 16:04 02 Jul 2004

Once you have had AOL on the system, the only way to use another company is to re-format your hard drive and start again. AOL uses its own 'Software' to configure your system,and it cannot be removed. I had the same problem.

rawprawn 16:16 02 Jul 2004

That sounds a bit drastic, I have never used AOL because I don't like the way it takes over your computer, but I would have thought that having to reformat was OTT.tricky dicky 2 have you tried talking to AOL Helpline. I know that there were a lot of complaints about not being able to uninstall properly and I think they had a solution.since I have never had anything to do with AOL, I may be wrong, it just sticks in my mind that there were postings on this issue a long time ago. Maybe if you reinstall a newer version of AOL and then uninstall (Perhaps it has it's own uninstall program)it may work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires