Cannot set up security on laptop wireless network

sp21 20:30 08 Feb 2006

I have a compaq laptop which I connect to the iternet wirelessly through a Bt Voyager 2100 Router/Modem. My Desktop Pc is connected via an ethernet cable.
I have been trying to enable security WPA, I have followed the instructions on BT website.
However as soon as i enable the security I can no longer access the internet, nor does the Voyager appear in the list of available networks.

Have I missed something important !!!???.
Any help appreciated,

Steve

ade.h 21:24 08 Feb 2006

Once WPA-PSK has been enabled, your network should still appear in the list of available networks, but will be described as secure, with "you need a key to access this network".

Tell us what firewall you use on each machine.

Also tell us what model of wifi chip your Compaq uses - Intel 2200 for example. Or, are you trying to use an external PCMCIA card or USB adapter?

sp21 17:01 09 Feb 2006

Hi,
My chip is AMD Turion 64 and the network adaptor is Broadcom 802.11b/g. I use norton firewall which I configured on both machines to allow them to communicate. There is no other problem with the network,apart from this.

Steve

ade.h 17:39 09 Feb 2006

Norton Firewall is your most likely suspect, because it is one of a number of firewalls which can be problematic vis a vis wifi networks, due to a comparative lack of customisation.

I cannot advise you exactly how to implement the correct permissions and get them to work correctly, as I ditched Symantec stuff years ago.

sp21 18:28 09 Feb 2006

Thanks for that, my norton av subsription expires soon, I will not renew it, probably going with AVG.
I will see what difference that makes.

Steve

ade.h 18:45 09 Feb 2006

AVG is an AV, though it has firewall-equipped commerical version. Couple it with Kerio and you should be fine. I use Kerio and Outpost on my network and they are very fine-tunable.

sp21 17:06 10 Feb 2006

Me again,
I have ditched Norton, and replaced with AVG and Kerio. However I still have the same problem !!
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

ade.h 17:12 10 Feb 2006

click here Check this and tell me if you'rs is set up like this.

Also, when you installed Kerio, did you choose Advanced Mode? You needed to, really. That way, Kerio will prompt you when events happen for the first time.

ade.h 17:16 10 Feb 2006

Is it possible that the switching on of WPA is also switching off SSID broadcasting?

If this is off, some devices may play up and not pick up the network.

sp21 20:31 10 Feb 2006

Hello again,
I have accidentally found the solution. I had the encrytion settings wrong on my wireless adaptor. Should have been TKIP. I altered this now everything seems fine.
Thanks ade.h for your help- at least I now have a decent firewall,on your recommendation.

ade.h 20:38 10 Feb 2006

I hadn't bothered suggesting the laptop's protocol setting, because it defaults to TKIP by picking it up automatically! I'm amazed that yours did not; I have never seen that happen before.

Another thing to look out for then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?