Cannot send emails using Outlook

ozman15 13:06 31 Jan 2015

Gday all I am visiting UK and am unable to send emails from my laptop. I can receive emails through TPG in Australia so the incoming mail server is set correctly. I have tried a number of alternatives for the outwards mail settings (SMTP)but it still does not work. The settings that I have used pass the first four checks but does not pass the last test which is to send a test message. The house where I am staying for the next six weeks uses Sky but that may only be for internet and TV as I think that their emails may be with Yahoo although I do not know whether Yahoo is .co.uk OR .com Having said that, I guess that I would need to know the Outlook settings for Sky.

Any suggestions that will help me connect?

ozman15 13:47 31 Jan 2015

Gday Jock1e I am using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. Hopefully that will help someone's memory

Ozman 15

tullie 14:18 31 Jan 2015

Its Winter Jock1e

Ian in Northampton 14:29 31 Jan 2015

If Jock1e's from Scotland, as his name would suggest, then there's not that much difference...

Secret-Squirrel 15:38 31 Jan 2015

Ozman, you're probably already aware that you're getting this problem because you can't use TPG's SMTP server with an Internet connection from a different provider - in your case Sky.

"I guess that I would need to know the Outlook settings for Sky."

It's usually that simple. However, Sky uses an authenticating SMTP server so you'd need to know the Sky email address and password of your friend. Would they be happy to let you enter it into your computer? Even after doing all that you still won't be able to send using the Sky SMTP server because it will reject your TPG email address. To fix that your friend would need to log into his/her Sky account and add your email account. Thereafter it'll all work although you may decide it's all too much faff to bother with. If on the other hand you'd like to proceed then I can give you the Sky links you need.

As a workaround, have you considered using TPG's webmail instead? Here's the link if you're interested.

ozman15 17:54 31 Jan 2015

Gday Secret Squirrel I was in France last month for most of January and I was able to send emails from the deep south of France by deleting the TPG SMTP details and inserting Orange France SMTP details. From memory, I do not think that there was a need to authenticate the new SMTP address for orange.fr I have also deleted my TPG SMTP address and inserted the SMTP address for Virgin when I was staying London over Christmas. What I need to know is the equivalent details for Sky. However, from what I read around the traps, Sky are somewhat bolshie when it comes to sending emails in this manner. There must be a simple way to send emails, not through my TPG account but transmitted through the SMTP mail.

Ozman

Secret-Squirrel 18:53 31 Jan 2015

"What I need to know is the equivalent details for Sky."

Here's where you'll find the Sky server settings you need. You'll also need to look at this. And as mentioned previously, you'll need your friend's Sky email login details and their cooperation because they'll need to add your email account to their Sky one.

It's a shame that TPG don't have an authenticating SMTP server which would prevent you having all these issues when you're away from home.

onthelimit1 19:05 31 Jan 2015

While here, can you ignore outlook and go to your provider's webmail page? I've had to do that when visiting Oz for the same reasons.

Secret-Squirrel 19:15 31 Jan 2015

"............go to your provider's webmail page?"

I mentioned that four hours ago ;)

polymath 21:43 04 Feb 2015

If you haven't solved it yet, another workaround I've heard of is doing it via a gmail address, which ISPs allow through outbound (I believe the emails can appear to come from your normal address, and be replied to normally).

Or maybe it would be less fiddly to just go to a free, non-ISP webmail service to send emails? I use mail2web.com, which doesn't store any of your details; you just log on each time instead, with email address & your own ISP's password (it auto-completes for me - I must have told my computer to remember it). Just one thing to bear in mind; Mail2web times out fairly quickly, then you're out and have to log in again (for security I think); so it's a good idea to copy any long, carefully-composed prose before pressing Send! (Or write it in an email client, copy it, log in to webmail and paste it there).

polymath 21:49 04 Feb 2015

If you haven't solved it yet, another workaround I've heard of is doing it via a gmail address, which ISPs allow through outbound (I believe the emails can appear to come from your normal address, and be replied to normally).

Or maybe it would be less fiddly to just go to a free, non-ISP webmail service to send emails? I use mail2web.com, which doesn't store any of your details; you just log on each time instead, with email address & your own ISP's password (it auto-completes for me - I must have told my computer to remember it). Just one thing to bear in mind; Mail2web times out fairly quickly, then you're out and have to log in again (for security I think); so it's a good idea to copy any long, carefully-composed prose before pressing Send! (Or write it in Outlook, copy it, log in to webmail and paste it there).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone