Cannot see xbox 360 using Windows Media Player 11

lelole76 20:57 01 Sep 2008

Hi

I have successfully set up xbox 360 to connect wirelessly to the internet (xbox live), but getting it to share media files with my PC has defeated me!

I am using WMP 11 and XP and the instructions on the Microsoft site say I should be able to just see the xbox when I run WMP and open media sharing and check the 'share my media to' box. But it is blank!

I have tried just about everyting including:

Adding the IP address for the Xbox to the trusted zones for my firewall.
Disabling the firewall! (Zonealarm).
Forwarding TCP and UDP ports for the IP of my Xbox,as suggested on various forums (for a Buffalo Airstation (I think I did this correctly).

Yet still no joy - am getting frustrated now. Strangely, my work laptop can see both my xbox and my desktop PC, yet both are running off the same wireless network.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be most grateful - I have just about given up hope!!

Thanks

Leah

gigglestheclown 04:51 26 Jan 2009

Microsoft decided in it's infinite wisdom to NOT include a needed update in the new dashboard this fall (2008) which they had issued in fall 2007 to play media (.avi, ect) via Windows Media Player 11. You simply need to attempt to play an unsupported video or music file and the Xbox will prompt you to download the update- portable device, USB, burn to CD, however you can. I accomplished this quite by accident when I was ready to quit trying to connect a friend's 360 and admit defeat. It just made no sense. I had done everything the same as I had on my home network. I decided to plug in my phone via USB to attempt to play a music file to see if his Xbox was defective. That's when I got the prompt "update needed to play this file" (see fall 2007 Xbox update, which I already had for a year at home). Downloaded the update and WMP 11 immediately recognized his PC. Boggles the mind why Microsoft would not have incorporated this into the new dashboard update, but I stopped trying to figure them out long ago. Hope this helps you connect your computer to your Xbox360!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?