Cannot save excel work to disc, read only file

AMBIENCE 17:30 04 Apr 2006

I HAVE BURNED TO DISC SOME EXCEL WORK, ONLY TO FIND THAT WHEN I OPEN IT FROM THE DISC AND TRY TO SAVE IT AFTER SOME CHANGES, I GET I MESSAGE WHICH SAYS IT IS A READ ONLY FILE, HOW CAN I GET AROUND THIS. PLEASE HELP.

Magic Hobo 17:35 04 Apr 2006

Please don't use caps lock as it is considered shouting and therefore rude.

You cannot save the excel document to disc as the disc has already been burnt and cannot be changed at all (if it is a cd-r or dvd-r). But it can be changed if it is a cd-rw or dvd-rw. You must however wipe the disc and re-burn everything to it again. In fact it's a lot easier to use a memory key.

---
Magic Hobo

rawprawn 17:36 04 Apr 2006

Right click the file/properties, and untick "Read Only" To type in upper case is considered to be shouting.

AMBIENCE 17:51 04 Apr 2006

sorry for the upper case but this was my first time in the forum. thanks for your help.does your answer also refer to word files and powerpoint as well.
i did try right clicking the file/properties, and tried to untick "read only" but it was greyed out.any reason why.

BRYNIT 17:59 04 Apr 2006

As Magic Hobo has stated you can not alter files burnt to a CD-r or DVD-R discs as these are write one discs.

If you want to keep the files on a disc and be able to change them you will need to use CD-RW or DVD-RW discs. You will need to format the disc first using Nero InCD or another pocket writing program this will allow you to open and save direct to the disk.

If you do not like using CD-RW disc you could always use a usb flash drive click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone