cannot restore pc

numb head 19:46 12 Oct 2006

my pc restarts half way through restoring the says could not restore to this date why please help

Pine Man 19:54 12 Oct 2006

Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter.

It may be that you need to reinstall System Restore. It certainly worked for me when all else failed.

In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists, or for systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Downloaded from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\ folder.

Pine Man 19:55 12 Oct 2006

Sorry this is how the instructions should really look!

Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter.

In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists, or for systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Downloaded from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\ folder.

SLAYER 19:58 12 Oct 2006

have a look here.

click here

numb head 20:11 12 Oct 2006

did tha did not find system restore anwhere have not got xp only windows me trying to find my burn engine cannot burn cds saying cannot find easy creator burn engine

mac75 21:59 12 Oct 2006

if you go onto a search engine, e.g. google, and type in kb290700 it will take you to m/soft.then download the file 290700usam.exe, this will patch your sys/restore to make it work. apparently there was a prob. with early versions of win me.

good luck.

jim.

woodchip 22:13 12 Oct 2006

The date you tried to restore may be too old to restore to and some files etc may not exist.

laurie53 08:44 13 Oct 2006

This has happened to me sometimes. It is normally some software I have installed/uninstalled has really blown the system.

My solution is to re-install or restore using another method (I use Norton Ghost) and usable restore points will then build up again.

It doesn't happen often, but it's really a pain!

Laurie

Pine Man 16:55 13 Oct 2006

numb head

Got your email.

Sorry can't help further, my advice was based on your o/s being XP. I have no experience of ME.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone