Cannot Repair WinXP

Dumble452 09:51 12 Aug 2007

I've followed the instructions to repair Windows XP but when I boot from the Windows CD and get to the WindowsXP welcome screen my computer just shuts down and switches off before I have the chance to press ENTER to setup Windows XP

SANTOS7 10:11 12 Aug 2007

I would say it is not software related but hardware, points to a PSU problem if your PC keeps turning itself off, could also be CPU overheating, you might want to look there first...

Dumble452 10:44 12 Aug 2007

It doesn't turn off when its running only during boot-up and then intermittantly. CPU temp reported as 29-51 deg C.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:58 12 Aug 2007

WindowsXP welcome screen my computer just shuts down and switches off before I have the chance to press ENTER to setup Windows XP

is this the first blue screen as you are trying to boot from CD?

SANTOS7 11:00 12 Aug 2007

A fair test at this stage would be to try another PSU, if there is no definitive error message it will be a process of ellimination

Dumble452 22:51 12 Aug 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Its the screen that gives the options to:
To setup Windows now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Consol, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

SANTOS7. You may be right. This has been an on-going problem for a few weeks. There has been an error message click here
which I've been unable to resolve.

I have a feeling that I'm heading for a re-format and clean re-install

WhiteTruckMan 02:24 13 Aug 2007

from an external source and run scandisk with a surface scan? (assuming you do not have ntfs on c:) Not that I think theres anything wrong with your drive, but it gives the computer something to do, and if it falls over doing that then its definitely a hardware issue and not your OS

WTM

Dumble452 08:51 13 Aug 2007

My knowledge of DOS is somewhat limited. I have Win98se on C: which is a FAT32 partition, WinXPsp2 on D: which is NTFS. I have a Win98 start-up floppy somewhere if that's what you mean by an external source.
I have my main drive backed up (and verified) to an external hard drive but I'm still paranoid about losing my files, particularly photos.

User-312386 08:56 13 Aug 2007

Try this

Restart computer, start tapping the F8 key and the options will pop up. Select start in ms-dos

When in dos type scanreg /fix

Note the space between scanreg and /

If all goes well the resgistry should be fixed

If you get a flashing cursor at the end type EXIT

Madboy

Dumble452 16:47 13 Aug 2007

Madboy33:
I don't seem to have that option.
At the moment my computer seems to be behaving itself. That is the problem with an intermittant fault; you never know if you have cured it. I have turned off System Restore and have run my virus checker, adaware, a squared etc. Then I tried TrojanHunter as recommended by malwareremoval.com which allegedly found 2 trojans the others hadn't. I have now turned System restore back on.
I still think that the only option will be to do a re-format and clean install, but I'm frightened to do it.
I have a second 120GB hard drive and an external 500GB hard drive. Do you know of a check list of good practice as the best way to proceed?
I keep getting back-up corrupted messages when I back-up and attempt to verify a back-up to the 2nd HDD but I have managed to save and verify an image to the external HDD.

Dumble452 17:11 13 Aug 2007

Santos7

I have almost decided to buy a new PSU in order to remove one variable is this any good?
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?