cannot repair windows xp pro

notmeguv 18:44 25 Jul 2005

i am trying to do a windows repair with my windows cd, i boot from cd then it asks me to press a key, but then it justs hangs on the windows setup blue screen. it is windows xp pro oem. any ideas? thanx.

Rayuk 18:50 25 Jul 2005

click here
May help.
What exactly is the problem you have?

notmeguv 19:00 25 Jul 2005

ive been there. the problem started about 2 weeks ago for no reason, my computer kept crashing at different times with the blue screen showing lots of different problems, on was irql_not_less_or_equal i cant remember the others. and now its doing some really bizzare things like my quick start icons have gone but the tool tip appears there when i put my cursor over them. also after the last boot some of my icons have gone all pixaly and some have gone. so im trying to repair windows. i change first boot device to cd or my dvd drive but i cant get past the blue windows setup screen. could it be because its oem?

Rayuk 19:38 25 Jul 2005

Have a quick look see if anything new
click here

Will a system recovery from before that date help?

Of course youve done a full virus spyware etc check.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 25 Jul 2005

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a HDD problem this is why Yiur Xp CD cannot repair windows on the HDD
click here

Rayuk 20:02 25 Jul 2005

Have winXP Home oem have just tried it following my second link,there was a slight delay between installing and acceptance screen ie F8,but it then carried on ok.

So yes it works with oem copy

notmeguv 21:20 25 Jul 2005

the link you give is exactly what im doing, but when i press a key to boot from cd, the screen goes blue with "windows setup" in the corner and ive left it for over 15 mins like that and nothing happens, the cd stops spinning too. ive tried system restore a few times. is it possible to do a repair from desktop? ive done spyware removers and anti virus. i also forgot to mension that sometimes when i bootup windows is unable to find some files. the last one it lost was system32.exe or something and that wouldnt let me run add/remove. but then it sorted itself out. its done that with other files too. i dont think its a brocken cd, i cant see any scratches on it and ive only used it once when i installed it. the irql link is usefull but it looks like i need ti make note of the numbers to see what it is but i cant make it crash for some reason.

Rayuk 21:57 25 Jul 2005

Download hard drive manufacturers diagnostic software se if there is a problem with your hard drive and perhaps do a scandisk

woodchip 21:58 25 Jul 2005

have you tried safe mode? by keep pressing F8 as windows starts. If you can get in, Go to start\Run type MSCONFIG press enter go to startup tab remove all the ticks and try a restart but do not come on the WEB without AV or Firewall. if it starts OK then go back in to the above and first put AV tick back and restart, if it's OK got firewall etc until you cannot get back in. the last item that stops you getting in is the driver software that's the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?