Cannot remove programmes

Hetti 17:06 17 Apr 2005

When I try to uninstall from control panel add/remove programmes I get a small blue window saying "Application remant remover is gathering all the files to remove progamme please wait"
I wait for up to two hours and nothing happens. the last attempt was carried out by my son and he said there was a blue screen with an error message, but he closed the PC down before I made a note of the message.The way things are Im unable to uninstall any unwanted programmes!
I run WIN ME, I think the small blue win that appears saying "Application gathering info ect ect" is a left over item from a free version I had of MCaffee software if that is of any help

Technotiger 17:11 17 Apr 2005

Hi, if I remember correctly you do have a Search facility in ME - do a Search (including Hidden files and folders) for anything with MCaffee in it, then highlight and delete anything found. Then try a re-boot and see if things are any better re add/remove.

Cheers.

Technotiger 17:15 17 Apr 2005

If you can do the above - then download and run Regclean, this will clean-up your registry safely.

Regclean
2005 Highly-Rated Registry Cleaner Fix your Computer - Free Download!
click here

Cheers.

Technotiger 17:18 17 Apr 2005

Good luck - I will have a look here later on - I have been invited out to dinner this evening, so I must now go and powder-my-nose. :-))

Hetti 21:09 17 Apr 2005

Hi Technotiger

Hope you enjoyed Dinner......

I downloaded Reg cleaner expert, had to clean two at a time as you had to pay otherwise.
Cleaned all but I still get the small blue window (gathering info needed to remove ect) and nothing happens after that.

I did a search and deleted (just to the recycle bin as I cannot uninstall) what was related to Mcaffee first, but Im still unable to uninstall.

Any ideas?

Hetti 21:12 17 Apr 2005

Technotiger
Forgot to say I do not know how to search Hide file and folders, so it was just the normal search
I will look back here tomorrow
THANKS

Hetti 21:13 17 Apr 2005

Opps that should be HIDDEN files

Technotiger 18:48 18 Apr 2005

Hi Hetti, me again - yes did enjoy dinner, thanks.

In Search, click on Files and Folders, then on Advanced Options, among others, you should be able to tick a box marked Search hidden files and folders.

This is how it is in XP, not 100% sure if it is the same in WinME.

But I expect others will give their tips too - come on Guys, help a lady out. :-))

Hetti 18:03 19 Apr 2005

Technotiger

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I did another search after checking the Advanced options but I got "No results to display" so Im stuck there are a few programmes I need to unistall but I shall have to wait to see if anyone can come up with an answer!!

Once again Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:13 19 Apr 2005

Download Ccleaner from click here. This will get rid of all the rubbish that accumulates on a computer. There is also a facility in the tools section to delete programme entries from Add/Remove.

Then download Regseeker from click here, run it and delete all the registry entires that it finds (it will save them as a file just in case but after using this programme hundreds of times on many computers I have never needed it. After using these two you should be free of junk or you could await until the forum Bloodhound P;3 rallies more help ;-)))))

G

Hetti 19:23 19 Apr 2005

Technotiger and Gandalf

I found the culprit it was called Plguni.exe Ican now unisall proggammes Hurrah!!!
I will do as you suggest Gandalf,it may speed my PC up ...........

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017