Cannot reinstall Windows 8 on Laptop

RISC OS user 19:42 23 Jul 2014
Answered

I have been experiencing programs not responding (which I posted in an earlier thread). I thought I had overcome the problem when I set my laptop back to an earlier restore point, but it has become even worse and now I cannot use it at all. It will boot to the desktop and the icons etc load and appear as normal until I click on any program on the bar at the bottom left (forgotten what it is called) and then either the wait revolving icon appears or the program will load but will not respond. Even control panel does the same! I tried to use my CD to start the recovery from the disc image which I have on an external USB hard drive. The disc starts to spin, the head moves but after that nothing. I have also attempted to boot with the Genuine Windows 8.0 CD and again nothing except the disc spins up and the disc drive head moves. I just do not seem to be able to do anything to correct the error. The Laptop started life with Windows 7 and after I installed Windows 8.0 and then 8.1 all has been fine for more than a year or more. The laptop is an HP Pavilion dv6, 6GB of RAM with Large Hard Drive 750 GB and loads of free space plus AMD Quad core processor. Please, what can I do to get my laptop working again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 23 Jul 2014

Any recovery partition on your drive?

Is there any thing you need off the drive before recovery?

RISC OS user 21:56 23 Jul 2014

There is a recovery partition but it seems to be quite small. The laptop was originally for Windows 7 and I installed Windows 8.0 and 8.1 and the disc image I made appears to be unreachable because the CD I made to access it does not work as it has in the past, the disc spins and the head moves but nothing else. I could quite happily over write the hard drive as anything I need is on my desktop computer's hard drive so I can recover it. I have just booted the laptop, and have accessed the Control Panel and clicked on Recovery but again the PC has stopped except for the rotating wait icon. I also cannot make the setting appear by moving the mouse to the top right had corner. Nothing is functioning not even CTRL+ALT+DEL that has just given a blue screen, not the blue screen of death.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:27 23 Jul 2014

If DVD drive not working suggest you reinstall using USB see here

RISC OS user 18:47 24 Jul 2014
Answer

I have at last revived my computer, I noticed that at the very beginning when the machine is switched on a message was displayed " press escape to reach start up menu", this I did and was rewarded with various option to use fkeys or change the BIOS etc after some fiddling I was able to access my external hard drive on which was the saved Disc Image from a precious time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?