Cannot record to DVD F drive

prince midas 09:42 22 Dec 2008

I have just reformatted a USB drive which I had problems with but eventilly I got it to format and it works okay fine but it changed its drive letter from G to D which I thought is no problem.

At the moment I have drive 1 which as partition C & D. DVD drive E which works fine and DVD drive F which is now giving me problems.When I insert a used disk in F it reads it fine but says it is read only and will not let me add to it which is a problem. when I go into disk manage ment it shows the drive with the words online,but will not allow me to copy files to it presumably because it as decided it is read only.How do I get it to revert to read and write as it was before. Obviously it got screwed up in the format of the USB external drive.Help please.

crosstrainer 09:48 22 Dec 2008

Sounds as if you have a drive letter conflict, and possibly a duff usb pen drive (these are cheap as chips, so a new one won't cost the earth)

For your DVD drive try this:

Open device manager from control panel.

Scroll down the list until you find the entry for the drive in question.

Right click the entry and choose "Properties"

Delete the device and then re-boot (Windows should find, re-install and allocate the correct drive letter)

I'd be inclined to bin the dodgy usb drive and get a new one if this works.

prince midas 10:02 22 Dec 2008

I find now that both my DVD drives have become write only and although I can see information on both of them I cannot write to them.How do I cure this problem.

crosstrainer 10:27 22 Dec 2008

Follow the same procedure I posted above for both drives. What burning software are you using?

prince midas 11:03 22 Dec 2008

I am just using drag and drop but it says these CDRoms are write only.Will try what you said.

prince midas 11:22 22 Dec 2008

Did as you said,it gave me the option to uninstall not delete so I did this,then I rebooted and the CDROm appeared again.
But when I insertin a blank cdit says File is not accessible, incorrect function .

crosstrainer 11:36 22 Dec 2008

You can choose to delete from the tree view in device manager.

Try that and then download and install:

click here

Choose the download, it's free.

prince midas 12:45 22 Dec 2008

Worked a treat everything okay now,
thanks crosstrainer.

crosstrainer 13:04 22 Dec 2008

Glad your sorted... Merry Christmas!

Master Barber 03:08 06 Jan 2009

cross trainer..i have the same problem as prince midas..there's not a delete tab in device manager for the driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?