Cannot reach Microsoft with router

Graham. 17:14 27 Oct 2006

This is a strange one. I have a new Belkin G+ MIMO modem router. I can reach every website I try except Microsoft.com and MSN.com. It just stays at 'Connecting'. I can get cnn.com, so it's not just America.

I've tried Opera as well as IE.

I've spoke to Belkin helpdesk (in Bangalore) who tried a couple of settings. One was to change the MTU (?) to 1400. Then he passed me to his Supervisor - that's when the call got lost. They never rang back.

I've swapped back and forth with the old Voyager 105 a few times, to prove. I can connect OK using that.

Any ideas?

Dipso 22:09 27 Oct 2006

Who is your ISP, AOL?

I can tell you how to change the MTU value if you want to try that. click here and download DrTCP. When you've downloaded the program open it and look for the part "Adapter settings, MTU". Put the new value 1400 in the box to the right and make sure your network adapter is selected in the drop down box. Remeber the old value in case you need to revert, then click on Save and reboot your PC.

Dipso 22:25 27 Oct 2006

I've had a dig around and it seems likely that it is the MTU size that is causing the problem. click here suggests some other MTU values for you to try (bottom of post).

woodchip 22:28 27 Oct 2006

click here try it from the link

woodchip 22:30 27 Oct 2006

If you cannot reach it, then I would say it's your Firewall or the Host file, Even Browser settings can stop you, includind Cookie settings

Graham. 22:39 27 Oct 2006

Thanks, I'll look into that. PlusNet, by the way.

Dipso 22:41 27 Oct 2006

BTW you can change the MTU on your router too, wonder if that's what support were getting at, being that you can get to the sites using the modem. Maybe you could try that first.

woodchip 22:43 27 Oct 2006

Some routers have Firewalls built in, you may have to check the site as access in the settings

jimmer409® 07:25 28 Oct 2006

click here try this

Graham. 08:20 28 Oct 2006

No, can't get to that either.

I think it's a hidden setting, nothing is blocked in the router firewall. I would have expected to get a 'blocked' message, anyway, instead of 'Waiting for'.

jimmer409® 08:30 28 Oct 2006

i think microsoft are having problems due to the sheer number of people trying to download/sort ie7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires