cannot play media player or get any sound

weemacs 17:31 12 Nov 2006

message says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." There is no problem with my sound device. This is intermittant and can sometimes fix it with system restore. There is not conflict and I am not running anything else that is using it. Thought unistalling Real Player and Quick Time would help but seems not

skidzy 17:50 12 Nov 2006

Do you have a sound card installed or are you using the onboard sound ?

Check device manager for any yellow exclaimation marks against sounds and video controllers.

Start / Right Click My Computer / Select properties / Hardware / Device manager expand the +key under Sounds and video controllers. Find your sound card/onboard sound and right click and uninstall.If XP it will load the generic drivers on reboot.

Though if you have the motherboard drivers on disk,use these first.

Just to verify,if using a sound card...make sure the onboard sound is disabled in the bios.

weemacs 17:55 12 Nov 2006

I have an onboard soundcard and sound comes via my monitor. Have no yellow circle with exclamation mark. 100% sure that it is some sort of software conflict but what it is I have not a clue

freaky 18:00 12 Nov 2006

Have a similar problem with my wife's PC and cannot find the cause.

Will watch your post to see if there is a solution !

skidzy 18:01 12 Nov 2006

Ive noticed you have another thread with uninstall problems.Have you tried in Safe Mode to uninstall the programs.

weemacs 18:39 12 Nov 2006

have managed uninstall with advanced uninstaller. Freaky you have same problem with your wifes pc. Do you agree it is a software conflict

freaky 18:54 12 Nov 2006

With my wifes PC we cannot get any sound even the initial music when XP loads.

She only told me about this today, have checked the wiring etc and all is OK - also Device Manager checks out OK. All volume buttons are on maximum.

She did install a Linksey Camcorder a month or so ago, so maybe it is a software conflict.

skidzy 18:57 12 Nov 2006

" There is not conflict and I am not running anything else that is using it ".

" 100% sure that it is some sort of software conflict but what it is I have not a clue ".

Sorry im a little confused,you do not think its a conflict then you do ?

click here
or click here

Maybe one of these will help.

weemacs 18:05 13 Nov 2006

skidzy thanks so much. dowloaded JetAudio Basic 6.2.6 and Kylie is singing away good style. Have you any idea why that works and Quicktime,Realplayer and Microsoft Media won't. No matter is you don't its working now

skidzy 18:28 13 Nov 2006

Good ol Kylie.

Right i would uninstall Real Player/Quicktime/WMP and then run ccleaner click here reboot and install them again if you need them from:

Real Player click here

Quicktime click here

Windows media Player 11 click here

Now if i was you i would download and install one at a time,reboot and try to see if they work.That way you can diagnose if any of them are causing a conflict.Just to make things a little easier,ccleaner has its own uninstaller.

Jet Audio is well known for playing almost anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone