cannot play DVD's using Windows Media or WinDVD

manjinator 23:21 20 Jul 2007

Recently re-installed Windows XP Home but now cannot play DVD's using WinDVD or Windows Media player v11. Nothing happens with WinDVD but Windows media player only plays the DVD audio but no picture. Also cannot play any software. Any ideas ?

Stuartli 23:32 20 Jul 2007

Try downloading and installing the K-Lite Standard codecs pack from:

click here

It serves the majority of most people's requirements.

Also ensure that from WMP's Tools>Options>File Types tab that all file types are Enabled.

birdface 09:54 21 Jul 2007

Or try this one,click here usually play any type of Dvd.

eedcam 22:52 21 Jul 2007

Butemans response seconded

manjinator 20:11 22 Jul 2007

buteman & eedcam, thanks guys, i have downloaded the K-Lite codecs but still no joy. I do not wish to download any other media player until i resolve the problem with the ones i have. any other suggestions are welcome.

birdface 22:34 22 Jul 2007

Normally you need a Dvd Decoder I hope I have the right name ,You do not get it with Windows Media and you have to purchase one.click here Hope that comes out. Normally VLC that I gave should have it's own decoder and should play any type of DVD,You have a choice ,Pay or Free.

Stuartli 23:02 22 Jul 2007

Did you try Windows Media Classic from the K-Lute Codecs Pack?

manjinator 18:13 23 Jul 2007

Thanks guys! I have downloaded VLC and problem now sorted. I shall stick to it for now. Appreciate your help in the matter.
In response to Stuartli, yes I did download the Windows Media Classic from K-Lite codec pack but did not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?