Cannot open some files on desktop

MuDelta 14:40 13 Dec 2010

When I click on most, but not all, desktop files their contents flash for a brief time (small fraction of a second) and then everything disappears for about two or three seconds before reappearing as it was before I started. For example, this happens when I try to go to My Computer, My Documents or Recycle Bin, amoungst others.
How can I correct this?

gengiscant 17:09 13 Dec 2010

Always useful to mention operating system in your post.
One thing you can try is to disable them and re-enable from Desktop Properties. I'd also recommend trying to return them to their default icons as well.

To do this, find an open spot on your desktop (i.e. not over an icon) and right-click and select Properties from the menu.

Click on the Desktop tab at the top.
Click on "Customize Desktop" button at the bottom of that tab.
On the General tab (at the top) uncheck all 4 icons at the top (My Computer, My Documnts, etc.etc.) then click OK and OK..OK.. until back at the desktop. Verify you do not have these icons on your desktop now. If you do, they are simply shortcuts and you should delete them.

Now, repeat the above steps.. but this time re-check each of the four items, as well as visit the icon area in the middle and click "Restore Default" on each one. Then click OK, OK, OK.. all the way back to the desktop with your fingers crossed.

Or this:
Start>Run then copy & paste or type in:
regsvr32 /i shell32
Click OK
Note that the spacing is important.
It should,hopefully correct your problem.

MuDelta 17:40 13 Dec 2010

Hi gengiscant
Sorry, its XP sp2.
I'm afraid I fell at the first hurdle. You said
"To do this, find an open spot on your desktop (i.e. not over an icon) and right-click and select Properties from the menu"
When I clicked, nothing hapened!
I was able to open "Run" OK but your regsvr32 /i shell32 made np difference.
Thanks anyway. Any other ideas?

MuDelta 17:42 13 Dec 2010

PS I think a less ambiguous title for my post would perhaps hve been "Cannot poen some files on my desktop" But I hope the idea is not too clouded.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 13 Dec 2010

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

MuDelta 22:42 13 Dec 2010

Hello Fruit Bat /\0/\

I did what you said but with no result.
What next? Any further idead welcome.
The computer in question is my "light use" one - I am thinking of a clean reinstal.

gengiscant 09:21 14 Dec 2010

Rather than a clean install, why not try a repair install.
I personally believe in a clean install myself as, I have all my personal stuff on other drives and it gives me the opportunity to get rid of all the clutter that we all manage to acquire by installing software that we have only used once and will probably not use again, and even if we do need it again there will be a better version out anyway.

But with a reinstall, preparation is key.
Make sure you have backed up all your personal folders.
If you are using XP download and burn SP3, saves a lot of time.
Make sure you have all your drivers for your motherboard, graphics card ,audio, printer etc ready to install.

MuDelta 10:55 14 Dec 2010

gengiscant
I trie that; no change!!
It is realy a case for clean reinstall & yes, I note what you say about preparation.
Thanks

MuDelta 15:30 19 Dec 2010

I bit he bullet - clean reinstall. All went well.

Thanks all anyhow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?