Cannot open file

Spr 10:33 05 Oct 2014

I have tried to open one of my files I have received the following.

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropritate permissions to access the item"

Any help apprciated

Ian in Northampton 10:39 05 Oct 2014

What kind of file and what are you trying to open it with? And: what operating system are you using?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 05 Oct 2014

As above you may need to open as an administrator or even take possession of the file before it can be opened.

Pine Man 11:39 05 Oct 2014

If all else fails try taking ownership of the file with this click here

Spr 14:17 05 Oct 2014

The file I'm trying to open is a Jpg I am using Windows 7

They are my own files my own photos

alanrwood 18:12 05 Oct 2014

Have you installed a photo or graphic program that opens a jpg file. Is it associated with jpg files. Try opening the graphics program first and opening the file by using the File/Open from the menu bar.

Techpumpkin_WD 13:29 06 Oct 2014

Hello,

There are a few thing you can try. First make sure that the file is not on a location that is currently accessible, like a network location or an external drive that is not currently plugged in the PC. You should check if you antivirus software is blocking the file for some reasons. If you are sure that the file is safe, you can try to temporarily disable the security software and then try to open the file. You can try to take ownership of the file: Right-click on the file or folder and go to Properties Windows. Under Properties click on “Security” Tab, click on “Advanced” and check both the Permissions and Owner tabs. Make sure the account you are using has permission to view the file, if that isn't enough you can try changing the owner as well.

Hope that helps.

lotvic 19:42 06 Oct 2014

Techpumpkin_WD, - a typo, you mean "First make sure that the file is not on a location that is currently inaccessible, like a network location or an external drive that is not currently plugged in the PC."

Techpumpkin_WD 10:17 07 Oct 2014

"First make sure that the file is not on a location that is currently inaccessible, like a network location or an external drive that is not currently plugged in the PC."

Definitely a typo. Sorry about that. Do you have any progress so far?

wee eddie 16:13 07 Oct 2014

Definitely could be a file in the Library but the Drive, upon which it is stored, is no longer connected or for some reason unavailable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone