Cannot open Excel attachments

The Bard 09:46 12 Jun 2009

I have Windows XP SP3. When I click on an Excel email attachment, it always opens in Access. I have to save and then open to be able to read in Excel. Any ideas?

xania 10:14 12 Jun 2009

Right click the opject in the email and select the <Open with> option. Select Excel from the alternatives on offer or browse to your Excel program and make sure the option to always use is ticked.

The Bard 10:42 12 Jun 2009

Had tried that earlier, but only have options
Open
Print
Save as
Save all.

cagey 11:16 12 Jun 2009

The Bard, have you tried saving it and opening it from the saved file. I know it's not the full solution but it is a way to get round it.

InTheCity 11:23 12 Jun 2009

possibly try
On the excel Tools menu, click Options.
under the General tab, click to clear the ignore other applications check box, and then click OK

The Bard 11:32 12 Jun 2009

'Cagey' - I have to save and then open at present.
'InTheCity' - the box is already unckecked.

Sea Urchin 11:52 12 Jun 2009

Go into Control Panel - Folder Options - File Types tab - scroll down to the extension on your attachment (probably XLS) and highlight. You'll see below "Opens with" and the name of the program (probably in your case Microsoft Access). Click the Change button, then find Microsoft Excel for Windows - highlight and tick "Always use the selected program......" then OK and OK.

Sea Urchin 12:07 12 Jun 2009

I see you've marked this as resolved - does this mean you have now sorted it - if so it's helpful to other people with the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?