Cannot open docs in word

talia 18:48 23 Jan 2006

Help! I am running XP Home SP1 with microsoft works. All my word docs will only open in wordpad and I can no longer open any existing docs in word. I canopen them in word on another machine but not on my main PC.

Any ideas

Totally-braindead 18:51 23 Jan 2006

Does Word still work, is it still there and does it still work normally, create a small one line document and save it then try opening that, if it does then either your docs are corrupt or its been set to open doc files with Wordpad rather than Word.

LAP 19:01 23 Jan 2006

Try in Word/Help/Detect & repair.

chub_tor 19:19 23 Jan 2006

Are you trying to open them by double clicking? Or by going to File Open in Word? If the former then Totally-braindead is correct and you need to change the file association.
Right mouse click on your file and look at Open With and see if Word is the first one selected. If it is Wordpad then change the file association by selecting Choose Program and when you see the list roll down it until you find Word. Click on that and check the box which says Always use this program to open this type of file.

talia 19:52 23 Jan 2006

many thanks

word is still there and running. I have tried right clicking on a file and choosing to open with word but although word opens the docs appear blank when I know they are not.

One more thing It is Works 6.0 on my main PC but works 2002 on my other machine. All are fine on 2002?

chub_tor 14:30 24 Jan 2006

Sorry for the delay, "her indoors" sometimes takes priority.

Have you done as Totally-braindead suggested and created a small new document with your Works 6.0 version of Word and then tried to open it again? Does it open correctly by double clicking? And does it open correctly if you open Works 6.0 Word using the File Open menu?

Word in Works seems to bit of a law unto itself as we had a similar question a while ago click here You might want to look at that link too.

talia 18:04 01 Feb 2006

Hi

I have done all as advised and all new docs will open in word but existing docs always default to wordpad?

I have reloaded word and all is fine now many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?