Cannot install application - failed prior install

georgemac © 20:16 27 Dec 2006

A friend called me down as her daughters had got ipod nanos fro xmas and could not get itunes to install on the pc

The message that is diaplyed is that this verison of itunes cannot repair the previous version and to uninstall everything

I uninstalled itunes from the control panel, and there is another app there, ipod for wndows which I think is an old version of the ipod updater software. It will not uninstall, it jut pops out of the uninstall process after a few seconds.

I have deleted the ipod and itunes folders and files in the program files folders, removed all records of them from the registry, and deleted the itunes files in the windows prefetch folder, but I still get the same message

any ideas how I can get round this one without having to foramt and reload everything?

VoG II 20:22 27 Dec 2006

If it uses the Windows Installer try this click here

SANTOS7 20:22 27 Dec 2006

click here

click here

these may help,good luck..

georgemac © 23:07 27 Dec 2006

I will try the windows installer clean up utility tomorrow

SANTOS7 - that is exactly how the program looks in add/remove programs but it does not get as far as the remove/repair screen or the confirm uninstall dialog

The other option that may be available is to reinstall the software then uninstall it so I may have a search for it on the net - not sure how long this has been on the PC as there was ipod software loaded a couple of years ago but I think that was removed.

georgemac © 19:35 28 Dec 2006

The windows installer clean up utility worked perfectly and as soon as I cleaned the install itunes installed perfectly, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?