cannot get past opening web page

tonyq 13:17 02 Oct 2006

Hi all,
We have 2 user accounts set up on our laptop, (WinXP,IE6, Avast A/V, Kerio Firewall, Spybot). Using one of the accounts, we are unable to get past the opening page of the web site, e.g we connect to click here, type in the question click “GO” but all that comes up is a blank page,same applies to Hotmail,type in user name & pass word, get a blank page. Some sites i.e bbc site, appear to work o.k. Have checked for viruses and spyware ect.

Using the other "user account" no problems at all.

anskyber 13:25 02 Oct 2006

I cannot remember whether there is separate cookie control for each account. if there is see if session cookies are allowed on both.

tonyq 16:13 02 Oct 2006

Hi anskyber
both users are set to "Automatic Cookie Handling"

tonyq 11:54 03 Oct 2006

after more trials,after signing in to Hotmail It goes to the blank page,when I use Google or other search sites nothing happens,other types of sites seem to load o.k. In short I am having trouble searching or Hotmail.

VoG II 12:00 03 Oct 2006

Try HostsToggle click here

tonyq 12:57 03 Oct 2006

Thanks VoG,but problem just the same With Hosts enabled or disabled using the download you suggested. Should I have a folder Named "Hosts"on my computer, sorry but not up on this sort of thing.

VoG II 12:59 03 Oct 2006

The hosts file would be

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (no file extension).

You could try renaming it to hosts.old then restarting Windows.

tonyq 16:00 03 Oct 2006

Hi VoG,no luck with the renaming hosts,I can't understand why one "User Account" works fine and the other "User Account" does not. It seems the trouble is with the settings that efect only individual accounts.

tonyq 15:59 04 Oct 2006

anyone any more ideas what the problem may be.
Regards tonyq.

anskyber 16:27 04 Oct 2006

Have you tried giving both accounts full administrator rights?

tonyq 17:29 04 Oct 2006

we both have computer administrator rights,is that the same as "full administrator rights"?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?