Cannot get laptop out of hibernation

CDobby 22:29 06 Sep 2014

I was using my laptop and stopped using it and it went into either sleep or hibernation. I went back to it and pressed any key and nothing. It was plugged in. You could hear the fan going and it's on/off switch was lit up showing it was on. I pressed the power switch briefly and it switched off. Normally to switch of that we you have to press and hold the power switch.

Pressed the power on and it wired into life and the fan started up again. Nothing on the screen. On one occasion I did beta screen up but was hanging. I have tried pressing and holding the power button for over 30secs and nothing changes. I have taken the battery out and left it for several hours and tried again but nothing.

It is an Acer Aspire 5739 running Vista.

Any ideas.

Aitchbee 22:59 06 Sep 2014

Try this.

Make sure your laptop has the lid down and it is connected to the mains.

Take out the power lead at the laptop connection for a second or two.

Put it back in again.

Then immediately [but carefully] lift up the lid of the laptop and then immediatly press the power-on button on your laptop.

If all goes to plan, it might spark into life again.

[Had a similar problem with my HP laptop and the above procedure got it goin' again!]

CDobby 08:22 07 Sep 2014

Thank you Aitchbee. Tried it this morning several times and it didn't work.

Just.me 19:38 07 Sep 2014

If nothing else works then close down the computer, remove the mains cable and then remove the battery. Leave for about a minute and replace the battery.

Then start up the computer and hopefully it will start normally. Shut it down again and start it up again to make sure that everything is working normally.

rdave13 19:52 07 Sep 2014

Another remedy is as above but hold in the power button for 30 seconds. This usually discharges all the capacitors on the mobo. Connect the mains only and try to boot up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?