Cannot get an IP via DHCP

ptrafc 17:44 30 Jun 2007

Hi,
I borrowed a laptop from a friend (my PC is having problems), but I can't seem to connect to the net using the same ethernet connection I used for my PC.
My ISP is Virgin Media (previously NTL) and is still fine connecting to the net using my PC. However, when I plug the ethernet cable into the laptop, it acknowledges the fact that there's a connection to the modem, but wont go any further.
When I go into the Network Connections and try a repair, I get a message saying:
'The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Renewing the IP address.
Please contact your network administrator or ISP.'

After searching the net I also tried 'ipconfig /renew' which gives me a message saying:
'unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.'

I also tried to manually configure the IP and other info to be the same as my PC (not sure if this would work anyway) with no results.

Any ideas of a solution?

Thanks in advance.

[email protected] 18:32 30 Jun 2007

Could be the Windows Firewall on the laptop causing the issue. Try disabling that first.

Also could be Norton or another antivirus program blocking the connection. Disable any prog that you use for this.

Do you use a router or does your main PC have a usb modem and itself act as the DHCP server?

ptrafc 18:45 30 Jun 2007

The laptop has recently had a fresh install of XP Home with SP1, so there is no internet security or windows firewall active.

I am connecting directly from the USB/Ethernet modem, using the Ethernet cable, no router.

ptrafc 18:46 30 Jun 2007

The laptop has recently had a fresh install of XP Home with SP1, so there is no internet security or windows firewall active.

I am connecting directly from the USB/Ethernet modem, using the Ethernet cable, no router.

ptrafc 19:32 30 Jun 2007

Thanks Beta, that worked a treat!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache