cannot get dell to start consistently

cspgsl 16:29 31 Aug 2006

I have a Dell GX-270 and I thought the ps was having trouble as the computer would start sometimes and just sit there with the screen on powersave (no image) at others. The max output power is listed at 210W. I installed another ps at 450W.
With the 450W results are the same. The compuer starts and teh screen drops into powersave immediatley or I loose the screen image once it finishes booting or it will boot into Windows. The is no consistent pattern

All peripherals are disconnected except for HDD. I tried removing one memory modules one at a time but no change. Yesterday I got it to boot into a memory test and all was OK

I tried installing a PCI video card but that didn't matter, it still went black.

I was thinking that updating the BIOS might help (there is a newer version) but as I cannot see the screen 100% of the time I think that might be suicide.

Is there any chance that this is a Windows problem and not a hardware issue?

I am now in the BIOS setup and the screen has stayed for the last 17 minutes. That would tell me it isn't a display adapter problem.

When I went out of BIOS I booted into safe mode. All was fine. When I clicked on Restart the computer seems to shut down but won't restart sitting with the screen on powersave

Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 31 Aug 2006

booted into safe mode. All was fine. When I clicked on Restart the computer seems to shut down but won't restart sitting with the screen on powersave

looks like a graphics driver problem, boot into safe mode and update the graphics driver.

Also have a check at the power save options and set everything to "never"

cspgsl 20:09 31 Aug 2006

i am trying to return to safe mode however it is proving difficult.
i am also not so sure that it is a graphics driver issue as i installed a pci display card and got the same results.
i will give it a try if i ever get back in
if you have nay other thoughts please send them along
i am wondering if there is any chance it is a windows issue...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?