Cannot get bios screen

sugarbabe 14:02 11 Nov 2006

Am trying to mend windows 98 se machine and at the moment it will not boot from cd. Have tried pressing F12 and esc when starting up but loads normally.

How do i get bios screen when starting up?
Is there a way to get the screen once pc has started up normally?

Stuartli 14:03 11 Nov 2006

The most likely method (it should be detailed on your initial screen on rebooting) is to press the Delete button.

sugarbabe 14:07 11 Nov 2006

Tried delete and nothing happened

rodriguez 14:14 11 Nov 2006

It should say in a message at the bottom of the screen as soon as you switch it on. Usually it says "Press DEL to enter setup" (or whatever key it uses. Usually it's DEL, F1, F10 or F12. I also keep tapping the key as soon as I switch it on until the BIOS screen comes up.

VoG II 14:16 11 Nov 2006

Keys to try click here

dms05 14:17 11 Nov 2006

My Laptop require me to press f2 immediately the booting process starts. I had a Toshiba that needed <Esc><f12>. May I suggest you try combinations of the f keys with and without Esc.

sugarbabe 14:17 11 Nov 2006

dowsn't say anything on botton of screen. Anyway to enter bios once pc is running normal. I just want to change it to boot from cd.

rodriguez 14:23 11 Nov 2006

You can't go into the BIOS when the PC is running, it has to be done when you switch it on before everything loads up. The best thing to do is press the Pause Break key at the screen with the yellow Energy Star logo when you switch it on. This will pause it and you'll see a load of writing at the top which will say somewhere what BIOS you have. Write all this down and post it here and I'll find out what key you have to tap to get into it.

rodriguez 14:24 11 Nov 2006

PS do you get a big logo come up for a few seconds as soon as you switch it on? They usually write what key to press on the bottom of there.

sugarbabe 17:00 11 Nov 2006

do get the big label but the bottom of the screen is a bit distorted. Pc also has AVG scanner on boot up don't know if that affects it.

Stuartli 17:14 11 Nov 2006

Have you tried VoG™'s link?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?