Cannot format C drive

Newuser2 17:30 11 Jan 2008

I need to reinstall XP but I cannot get the format option to work. I get an error message "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disc utility's and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive" I've done what it said but to no avail.
Is there a way of forcing the format.

rawprawn 17:33 11 Jan 2008

Are you using your XP CD from boot to Format?

ened 17:34 11 Jan 2008

Have you booted from the CD?

You need to put the cd in the drive then reboot.

If it doesn't boot to the cd you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence.

Many modern systems allow you to press a key during the boot up to save you having to go into the BIOS.

ened 17:34 11 Jan 2008

Beat me to it!

Newuser2 17:43 11 Jan 2008

Thanks guys.
I changed the boot sequence in the BIOS
I started to boot from the cd but maybe I didn't let it get as far as I should have.
I'll give it another try and post back.

Newuser2 18:04 11 Jan 2008

I get to the "searching for previous versions of windows" and then nothing it just does nothing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:19 11 Jan 2008

Rbbot select recovery console and format from there.

Newuser2 18:33 11 Jan 2008

Fruit Bat That doesn't work it gets to the screen asking which windows to log onto and then it just sits there

ened 18:37 11 Jan 2008

I can't remember exactly but I think you boot to the cd and select install windows.

It shouldn't need to check for previous versions and one of the installation procedures for XP is to format the drive.

If it is an older installation disc it helps if you strip the pc to it's bare essentials because it will only recognise hardware which was certified when it was produced.

SANTOS7 18:39 11 Jan 2008

# Make sure the disk is not write-protected.

# Close all open applications, backup or syncing software, programs, or control panels that may be using the drive or disk.

Newuser2 18:44 11 Jan 2008

I've shut everything down, as far as I can be sure.
Is there a fool proof way of making sure everything is shut down. Maybe that might help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?