Cannot find TV signal

Tiggy2 14:10 28 Sep 2008

I'm going nuts. I have a new PC running vista home premium. Problem No.1: pc has a twin-tuner for digital TV. Windows media centre found this no problem, and recognises that I have 2 tuners. I was able to scan and find tv programmes fine. But, will only record the channel I'm watching, and after successfully recording a programme, will not thereafter let me watch live TV - says 'no signal'. Ran the set-up process again, scanned & fouond channels, still won't let me record one channel and watch another, and bars me from live tv after I have recorded something.
Problem No. 2: I now cannot scan and find ANY tv channels.
I have a twinhan tv card.
If I install the software that came with this, and I know the driver is up-to-date, it will successfully scan and find all the channels, but I can't watch live tv because the picture is jerky. I uninstalled and re-installed this, and now it won't find any tv channels either.
What's going on?
One thing I have noticed: media centre finds tv tuners 0 and 1, the software with the tv card refers to them as 1 and 2.
Please, please, please can anyone help me?

js.101 09:00 19 Oct 2008

I'm having a similar problem and am searching the web for a solution. If I find one I'll let you know.

ICF 09:49 19 Oct 2008

I take it you have looked here click here

Tiggy2 10:51 19 Oct 2008

I have been to twinhan. In the end, I removed the card, rebooted the PC, switched it off again and re-inserted the card, and then rebooted. Windows found the card, and everything seemed to be ok. I can even record one programme while watching another. However, if I leave the PC to go to sleep, when I fire it up again Media Centre says it cannot locate a tuner. And sometimes when I start it up, it says the same thing and I have to reboot (sometimes more than once) before everything works as it should. I've even had to boot up with the arial disconnected, then repeat the process with it connected again. I think it must be Vista, but I can't find anything on the web to help!

js.101 14:01 17 Nov 2008

I think i may have found the solution (at least to my own similar problam - click here ).

I googled the query and found many with the same problem. Check these links, they may work for you.

It involves going into the Administrative Tools, then Services and changing one (or more) of the MCE services to 'Local System Account', then restart the PC. So far so good, I've restarted the PC 3 times so far with no loss of signal errors and MCE seems to be working a treat again. (contented sigh).

click here

Although this link was for a HP/Compaq solution it seemed to work for me (running a Chillblast Fusion Juggernaut with Vista Home Premium)

See also these other links
click here

Good Luck!

Stuartli 15:34 17 Nov 2008

Not sure which Twinhan drivers and software version you use, but I found out quite some time back that it's not particularly good with my Twinhan Freeview PCI TV card and eventually installed ShowShifter instead.

It works well and can be used in PVR form as required. See:

click here

Stuartli 15:55 17 Nov 2008

ShowShifter became unavailable a while back and I'm not quite sure if a plan to take it over became reality.

However, the website links seem to work although I haven't attempted any downloads...:-)

By the way, I retained the Twinhan BDA drivers for my particular TV card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone