Cannot find server or DNS Error

Disco2009 18:22 13 Jan 2009

I am currently having problems updating Windows XP Home Edition.

Every time I go to update I keep getting this message

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Can anyone help?

birdface 18:34 13 Jan 2009

Try right clicking Local area connection and press repair.see what problems it brings up.

Disco2009 18:45 13 Jan 2009

Have tried that and it says it is working correctly.
I only have problems connecting to Microsoft & Avg. I can connect to google and bbc

birdface 19:10 13 Jan 2009

What firewall do you have.Maybe try it with the Firewall turned off and then see if you can open them.

Disco2009 21:10 13 Jan 2009

Have already tried turning the firewall off, but that still hasn't worked

birdface 00:20 14 Jan 2009

Try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok.it should come back and tell you DNS Cache has been flushed,if so reboot the computer and see if there is any difference.Or maybe Control Panel.Administrative Tools.services. and scroll down to DNS Client and set it to automatic.

Disco2009 22:07 14 Jan 2009

Had to change the status of DNS Client to Manual and then it worked, tried to refresh it and that didn't work so changed it to Manual and it started to work.
Unfortunately after 2 hours of windows updates my computer starts up without any icons or the start menu, just a blank screen. Don't have a clue whats happened.

birdface 23:51 14 Jan 2009

Maybe right click the Taskbar and click on Show Desktop.

birdface 23:56 14 Jan 2009

or right click middle of the screen and tick show Desktop Icons.

birdface 00:19 15 Jan 2009

Looks like you may have some sort of Virus or Trojan.If you can at any time maybe download Malwarebytes free.Update it and run in safe mode if possible.Or maybe try this temporarily,never tried it so not sure if it works picked it up from another forum. This is a fix for WinXP No Icons or taskbar

First do ALT CTRL DEL to bring up the task manager then click new task, cut and paste this

Menu\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer.lnk"

into the NEW TASK bar and click OK.

This will bring back you icons but only till next boot at which time you will have to do this again untill the viruses are eradicated.

These are the causes they need to be eradicated or they will self replicate causing all kinds of havoc to your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?