cannot find freeview box signal on computer

si404 12:16 18 Jan 2006

I have a sony desktop with three sockets (RGA, I think they're called) to take the scart lead from a DVD player or similar. I've connected these up to the freeview box but I cannot find any signal. I can get the DVD signal via them.

I'm using the Sony Giga Pocket software. Thinking this may be the problem I downloaded Chris TV, but that just confused me as I haven't a clue about what signals i'm recieving and how it should be processed.

I've spent ages trying to find the signal, I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Maybe I'm trying to do the impossible with an external box.

Stuartli 14:37 18 Jan 2006

Chris TV, IIRC, like Showshifter, is for use with a PCI or USB TV card installed on your system.

Such a card (a Freeview DTV TV card) is the easiest way to get TV on your system. An example:

click here

or the Digital+Audio version like mine:

click here

which accepts inputs from VCRs, games consoles etc and allows both viewing and/or recording such inputs.

bluenote 00:39 19 Jan 2006

if you are trying to use a tv set top digital receiver ,you need to connect it via a scart socket.You probably don't have one on your computer monitor.You need a dedicated pc card or one with a usb connection like the freecom BVB-t usb stick.

Stuartli 11:31 19 Jan 2006

No computer monitor has ever been fitted with a Scart socket...:-)

si404 13:02 19 Jan 2006

Thanks, but the connection for the scart lead is in the back of the computer, not the monitor. I can connect the scart lead from a DVD player (as a test) to the back of the computer and see the film perfectly on the monitor. When I connect the set top box instead via the same scart connection I get nothing. I don't understand...

For the amount of time I've now invested in trying to find the signal I should have bought the card instead!

Stuartli 15:13 19 Jan 2006

I presume you mean that the Scart plug is attached to your DVD recorder and (probably) S-Video or RCA plugs to your computer system?

Re your Freeview box - try variations of RGB and Composite signals to the computer system (graphics card?).

My Pioneer Freeview set top box provides either as required to a TV but Composite is far superior to RGB input display wise.

Other TV sets are better with an RGB signal.

Stuartli 16:10 19 Jan 2006

Links that might assist(!):

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone