Cannot find CD or DVD devices

ediface 17:38 03 May 2008

Can anyone help me please? I have a CD RW and a DVD RW and I have installed a second hard drive which has been set to "Slave". The 2nd Hard Drive can be accessed but now I cannot use my CD or DVD writers and Windows is saying: "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)" All the devices are found in the BIOS (2 hard drives, the CDRW and the DVDRW). Both the lights on the CD and DVD light up when I insert a CD. I have uninstalled them both and let Windows find them which it does, however I don't get the message "your device is installed and ready to use". When I check on the Device Manager the dreaded yellow box with the exclaimation mark is against both devices. I have tried updating the drivers through Windows but it tells me they are the latest drivers. What could I have done wrong?

Graham. 17:45 03 May 2008

It could be the assigned letters have changed and need to be reallocated. Right click My Computer, Manage,Disk Management. Right click on a drive, Change drive letter and paths. Make the drives E and F.

skidzy 18:04 03 May 2008

Code 41 click here

ediface 18:10 03 May 2008

Thanks Graham. The problem was more complex than that, but I have just resolved it by going onto click here and following the instructions provided by Ernest Ofori which was:

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

This worked like magic and my drives are now working perfectly!!

skidzy 18:13 03 May 2008

All the required info was in my above link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?