Cannot fileshare/workgroup via wireless router...

robotninja 23:32 09 Feb 2006

Hi,

I have broadband connected to a cable modem. This in turn is (ethernet) connected to a netgearWGR614 (a wireless DSL router). The router is (ethernet) wired to a PC (XP home) and I have a PC (XP home) in another room that uses a belkin FD57050 (a USB wireless adapter) to connect, via the router, to the shared internet connection. Internet connection on both PCs is perfect but I am unable to file-share the two computers. I have run numerous network setups but can’t seem to create a workgroup for the two machines. According to the router, both PCs are recognised and 128-bit WEP encryption is being used (though I have turned this off on occasion in my attempts to get the two computers to communicate). I wonder if there is some kind of pesky firewall or something stopping the workgroup or perhaps it is a wired/wireless communication issue…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ade.h 16:21 10 Feb 2006

Some points to bear in mind:

No firewall should stop the creation of a workgroup and the sharing of folders because that is part of the LAN, just as your shared internet connection is. If your firewalls are allowing the internet connection, then it is because they have allowed the LAN; they cannot see a distinction between those two things on a wifi network because the LAN is effectively the parent of functions such as file-sharing and internet connectivity.

All PCs must have the same workgroup name.

The parent folders of shared folders must not have privacy enabled. If C:\Documents and Settings\Joe Bloggs\ has privacy enabled in its properties, Joe Bloggs is not going to be able to share his files.

If WEP was interfering here, nothing would function correctly because, like firewalls, WEP controls the LAN itself.

ade.h 16:23 10 Feb 2006

Quote: "...I have run numerous network setups..."

This does not make 100% clear how you have been going about this. I would assume that you have used Windows' Network Setup Wizard from the Control Panel. Please confirm either way.

robotninja 18:10 10 Feb 2006

Thanks for the info, it seems I have managed to muddle through...

I disconnected the modem, turned off the firewalls and made a few more attempts at viewing the workgroup via 'my network places'; usually in this situation both the machines would stall and then tell me that the network path was unavailable but after a few tries the shared folders appeared.

At this point I switched the various security measures back on and reconnected and the filesharing vanished from the wirelss PC. I then made a single IP exception to the wired PCs norton firewall (i.e. the address of the wireless PC) and everything worked fine!

Pretty wierd, huh?

Thanks again for the help.

ade.h 18:19 10 Feb 2006

I assumed that you had already entered the correct permissions in your firewalls. Like this: click here

robotninja 18:58 10 Feb 2006

Hmmm, guess I thought windows would work that one out for me!

Thanks again...

ade.h 19:03 10 Feb 2006

Can I take it from that comment that you're relying on the wet-as-a-puddle XP firewall?

Might be safer to turn that off and run something more effective click here

ade.h 19:05 10 Feb 2006

That is free, by the way.

keewaa 20:39 10 Feb 2006

Where is the free version on their web page. Is it the "evaluation copy"?

ade.h 21:03 10 Feb 2006

Sorry, are you asking about Kerio?

It's free to download and runs in full spec - with the web content filtering - for 30 days. It then reverts to free spec - no content filtering - and you can buy a licence for it at any time even after the trial.

I paid the $15 special offer price - available to the end of March - for one installation and I have the free spec an another PC, but you can probably live happily without the web filtering.

keewaa 21:27 10 Feb 2006

Yep, Kerio, thanks. I heard good reviews of it on GRC so I think I'll give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?