Cannot download windows updates on XP

Zerogravity 08:45 25 Jan 2014

Samsung NC10 running XP3, zone alarm and AVG free version. Its months I cannot download windows update. At first, the check for updates system on the windows update website was running continually without stopping. Now it can find the updates, but when I click on download, the window open but it doesn't dowload them, I end up with all the updates written as failed. I know that window XP won't get any updates starting april, and I want to get every updates possible before that happen.

onthelimit1 09:07 25 Jan 2014

Try doing them one at a time rather than as a batch.

rdave13 09:31 25 Jan 2014

Had same problem after fresh install of XP SP3. I ran Bellarc advisor, link and that gives a list of missing updates. Copied the KBxxxxx number and pasted to Google, got the manual downloads that way. Not ideal but it works and you shouldn't have that many to do. Sometimes worth typing XP after a space behind the update number. Once I'd done that then the auto updates worked again??

1]: [click here

Batch 12:43 26 Jan 2014

There was a glitch with the overall Windows Update (WU) process, since around July / August time last year, that seems to have eventually been fixed in December's WU. Prior to December's WU the update worked but could take a VERY long time - I've seen it take over 5 hours.

Microsoft eventually seem to have got round to fixing the issue in December's WU, so that the latest WU (January) was back how it should be and went through in a next to no time.

Although, from what you say, you have been leaving the updates to run anyhow....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?