cannot download windows or Norton updates

kenwyn 22:27 30 Aug 2008

The PC was starting to run slow, re-starting randomly & denying access to previously accessible & common websites. Windows automatic updates had stopped & a message from Norton said there was a new version of the 2008 Security suite, but after downloading the insallation tool, it told me I had no internet connection! (incorrect, obviously). The Windows Live One care tool found the Soberworm that Norton failed to, and I downloaded the seperate Norton fix to remove the worm which was apparently successful. However, I still get an error message when going to the microsoft update page & even going through their advanced help does not resolve the issue. Norton Live update works, but cannot find the path to update the security suite, and the update tool for the new version still thinks I have no internet connection. Any suggestions gratefully received

woodchip 22:35 30 Aug 2008

Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore Restore points in calender are Bold, restore an old date

kenwyn 23:22 30 Aug 2008

thanks for that woodchip - as part of the worm deletion process, Norton advises:
"If you are running Windows Me or XP, then disable System Restore. Refer to the section, "System Restore option in Windows Me/XP,"
Users of Windows Me and Windows XP should temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations".
..So are you saying setting an old restore point is A) now safe,and B) likley to restore the ability to download MS updates. I only question this as the Norton instructions don't go this far (but then again it didn't find the worm either..!)

brundle 00:15 31 Aug 2008

It's better to have an infected restore point available than no restore point at all, though you are in a tricky position considering that Norton failed to catch the problem in the first place.

I would recommend you get yourself the entire NIS installation package (from CD or from the Norton site if you haven't already).

Then download the Norton Removal Tool. click here

Then download DialAFix. click here

Disconnect from the net. Run DialAFix. Reboot, verify if you have connectivity to the internet and can access updates. Don't install any. Disconnect from the internet.
Run the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Re-install Norton from scratch, connect to the internet for it to download updates, disconnect and run a complete scan.

If your machine is clear disable system restore.

click here

Reboot.
Re-enable system restore. Go online and check for MS updates.

Some of those steps do assume that you trust Norton to find everything. Personally after removing Norton I would download a trial of Kaspersky AV click here or Eset NOD32 click here and run a complete scan with one of those instead. Don't have more than one AV installed at any one time though.

kenwyn 06:32 31 Aug 2008

Thanks Brundle - ran dial a fix, re- booted, reconnected to the internet, went to the MS update page, which tried to check my PC, and then it encountered the same error (not sure how to add a "click here") so I am no further on in solving the issue

brundle 14:03 31 Aug 2008

There ought to have been an error code with the failure, starting 08x - or paste the text of the error into a post.

provider 2 14:13 31 Aug 2008

Sorry to butt in. I think this may have something to do with it:

click here

kenwyn 21:03 31 Aug 2008

I go the the MS update page - Microsoft checks I have the latest version of the updating software, then I get:
"[Error number: 0x80072EE7]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem "
As mentioned before, I have followed through the help, including advanced solutions, but still get the above message. Updates have always downloaded fine prior the the soberworm infection, so I guess I must have the corect download software. I also notice I still get the yellow MS upsdate shield appearing in the bottom right of my screen from time to time, but it goes away without updating. This is the main household PC connected to Broadband. The kids run thier connection via a wireless link to it & are able to get their Norton & MS updates without a problem.

brundle 21:51 31 Aug 2008

Disable Norton AV before checking for updates. If it were just Windows failing updates then you have a few things to try and DialAFix usually does the job. If Norton is refusing to update too then it may be damaged and I strongly recommend you remove and re-install it, either in one go or following the steps I posted earlier. If it's the whole Norton Internet Security package there are very few areas of the computer's operation that it won't have some influence over (and subsequently break if it gets damaged).
Some spyware/virus/trojans adjust your DNS server settings and hosts file to prevent access to AV and Microsoft sites and updates so that is worth checking too (although if Windows updates were in the hosts file you might not be able to reach the site with a browser at all); click here

kenwyn 09:23 02 Sep 2008

I deleted Norton -its gone -and The PC is already running faster. I have installed a trial version of Kaspersky and it didn't find any worms or viruses - just some old adware. As mentioned in a link from one of the above comments, I went (via Firefox) to the Windizupdate site and clicked to download the 2 available critical Windows updates. They each sat there for 15 mins with no sign of any download activity. Does this site link to Microsoft? seems very strange that this apparently completely different method also doesn't seem to work?!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie