cannot download service pack 2 help!!

joostin 15:06 17 Jul 2009

Hi guys,I am trying to install Norton security 9 and previously avg but it says for both i have to install service pack 2.As you can see from my previous posts i have annoyingley slow speed hence to say now i have bought Norton to see if there was a problem with my security making my net slow i.e virus??.
I am going onto microsoft site but after about 15 mins it says that Service pack 2 was not installed i have the flashing cursor but the down load box doesnt start to go green just white blank?
What am i doing wrong i need to get this on my Desktop before i can install my security now Arggghhh!!
Please help if you can
j

rawprawn 16:24 17 Jul 2009

First you should not have Norton and AVG on only one of them. If you are going to install Norton make certain that AVG is fully removed first.
Try a manual installation of SP2 (I am assuming Vista) click here save it to your HDD and then try and install it.

joostin 17:43 17 Jul 2009

Thanks Rawprawn for the link its Windows Xp home i have.All i had with avg is the desktop download and have now deleted that just got the 2 disks of norton 2009

gigagiggles 18:05 17 Jul 2009

hello.

do you have service pack 1 already installed for your xp home? would microsoft allow you to download sp2 if you didn't have sp1? is the download via windows update, or via a visit to their download site?

if you are concerned you are currently "infected", try and get malwarebyte's antimalware mbam.exe. this should rid your pc of the tame-able nasties.

mocha 18:17 17 Jul 2009

Hi joostin,

Try and download service pack 2 from this site and follow the instructions. click here

Good Luck.

mocha 18:28 17 Jul 2009

Hi joostin,

Windows XP service pack 1 is not required on your system before installing SP2.

SP2 has all the updates from SP1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?