Cannot dial-up after installing xp service pack 2

Dazed&Confused 11:09 02 Jul 2006

I'm posting this for a friend.

She cannot dial-up to connect to the internet and is getting the unable to establish a connection error message. Her boyfriend installed windows xp service pack 2 yesterday. She hasn't tried to dial-up before today.

The only other info I have is that the pc's showing that the modem has been removed.

I'm not very familiar with xp but could she do a system restore?

ed-0 11:13 02 Jul 2006

Have a look in device manager.

Thats control panel > system > hardware > device manager.

Is there any yellow exclamation marks against some devices? If there is can you post the devices with problems.

Dazed&Confused 11:24 02 Jul 2006

we'd already tried that, there is nothing at all listed in device manager.

She's tried to reinstall the modem drivers but I guess if there's no modem then that's useless.

ed-0 11:29 02 Jul 2006

Has she ever used the computer for dial up internet?

Are you sure it has a modem? Use SIW to check that it has a modem click here

You can un-install SP2 or do a system restore as you have asked. But if a modem is not listed in device manager, reverting back to SP1 shouldn't make a difference.

andrew-196854 11:30 02 Jul 2006

surely if there is no modem you would not be able to plug the phone line in the back of your pc im confused ,

ed-0 11:33 02 Jul 2006

If you know that a modem is there and device manager does not show it. it could be

faulty or not seated right.

If you are conident. Open the case. Locate the modem. If it is in a PCI slot. Undo the screw, lift out the modem. If there is a different PCI slot, slot the modem into that. Screw it down and restart the machine. Have the modem driver disk handy, just in case.

ed-0 11:34 02 Jul 2006

They may be trying to put the rj11 end into a rj45 socket. It has been know before:-(

andrew-196854 11:36 02 Jul 2006

yes they could be

Dazed&Confused 11:37 02 Jul 2006

Yes there is a modem as she has been using it successfully to dial-up to the internet since she bought the laptop until today. She is currently uninstalling service pack 2.

She has a system disc, would she be able to use that to reinstall the modem?

andrew-196854 11:39 02 Jul 2006

i would not uninstall sp2 as it plugs security holes in xp

ed-0 11:40 02 Jul 2006

" She has a system disc, would she be able to use that to reinstall the modem? "

Yes the drivers should be on that. They usually have a drop down box so you can pick what drivers you want to install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?