Cannot delete MPEG file

Yimbo 11:55 05 Sep 2006

An alien MPEG video file (of a particularly unsavoury sort) has appeared in "My Music". I've no idea how it got there - all the other files are audio. But I cannot delete this rogue file. It will not respond to any command - delete, move, open, play, send to etc etc. I definitely want rid of it! How do I do it please? I use XP Home. Thanks

Yimbo 12:38 05 Sep 2006

Hi Pattoo - - It says nothing - it's just completely unresponsive. I can highlight it - but it will not follow any kind of command.

David4637 20:49 06 Sep 2006

pattoo's S/W link will also delete index.dat files, they are XP system files that hold personal tracking data!! Thanks David

Yimbo 12:48 08 Sep 2006

Sorry to keep on about my problem - but I still can't get rid of this file! Anyone got any ideas? Much appreciated!

GroupFC 13:01 08 Sep 2006

Have you tried getting rid of it in safe mode?

Yimbo 16:46 08 Sep 2006

I've tried deleting in "Safe" mode - but, as with the regular mode, "delete" is not an option provided - unlike all the other (audio) files. Surely I'm not condemned to have this, thus far unresponsive, rogue Mpeg file on "My Music" forever!!

Yimbo 23:26 08 Sep 2006

Surely someone - somewhere - can help resolve this problem! I'm really stuck folks!!

Strawballs 23:32 08 Sep 2006
  Eastender 09:43 09 Sep 2006

This might help click here

Yimbo 04:42 10 Sep 2006

I'm trying your route first, Eastender,as it looks a bit more hopeful to someone with my limited experience. I need your advice though. When I follow the instructions given, I'm OK till I get to "At the command promt, type DEL <filename> where <filename> is the file you wish to delete" I'm not sure what to enter as the file name. It appears in "My Music" as a name with about 23 words followed by "MPEG File". Do I enter all the words as the filename or just the first few? This is an area where mistakes could be costly - so I want to be sure. Thanks!

ened 08:36 10 Sep 2006

Can you copy the file name? If you can then paste it into the relevant place.
I would suggest the filename is the entire thing including .mpeg.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?