Cannot delete file

tobyb121 00:23 04 Jun 2009

Hi I'm using vista and am logged on as admin, and I have a file on my desktop which I am unable to delete.
When I press delete it says "You need permission to perform this action" if I press shift+delete it looks like it has worked, but then when I refresh the desktop it's still there. I have tried setting myself as the owner, but it won't let me, and says I don't have permission to view or edit these settings.
I don't know what else to try, has anyone got any ideas?
thanks tobyb

mrwoowoo 00:32 04 Jun 2009

Try turning off your UAC first as this may be preventing it.
Also another programme may be using it.
Turn off any associated programmes or shut down everything and then try.
Alternatly try it in safemode.

phono 00:36 04 Jun 2009

Try Unlocker from click here follow the instructions on the website.

tobyb121 00:41 04 Jun 2009

Thanks for the help, when I restarted it seems to have gone, but I think there may be a virus at work, so I'll run a scan just to check, thanks again tobyb

phono 01:21 04 Jun 2009

Download MalwareBytes anti malware from click here click the blue, Download free trial version button, install, update and run a quick scan, if it picks anything up let it deal with what it finds, reboot if requested and then run a full scan.

Report back with any findings.

tobyb121 01:50 04 Jun 2009

scanned and all seems fine, just running a touch slower, though it usually does when I restart my computer as there are alot of background tasks runnign that I usually end.
Thanks for the help from everyone tobyb

Covergirl 07:32 04 Jun 2009

Click Start then type msconfig into the box. Run this program and in the Startup tab deselect everything then reselect your AV and possibly Defender if it's there. Accept all the changes and restart your system.
This will prevent all the unessential startup programs running and using system resources and save you closing them manually everytime you startup the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?