Cannot delete damaged ActiveX control

Red Devil 18:14 21 Aug 2008

OK,

I'm starting a new thread as I think I am near to my problem.

Basically, I can't download and install MSN games. An investigation has shown, I think, that the needed ActiveX control is damaged.

I've read that you're supposed to be able to right click the damaged control and be able to delete or uninstall it. I don't have that option, the only option I get is Preferences.

Can anyone tell me how in the hell I get rid of this damaged file in my Windows Downloaded Program Files folder because I am at a loss as to how to solve this?

Many thanks,

RD

Red Devil 18:19 21 Aug 2008

I am on Windows Vista as this seems to make a difference in a lot of cases!! :)

mfletch 18:25 21 Aug 2008

Is this any help,

Open Internet Explorer 7.

Choose Tools from the menu.

From the resulting drop-down menu, choose Manage Add-ons, followed by Enable or Disable Add-ons....

In the Manage Add-ons window, choose Downloaded ActiveX Controls from the Show: drop-down box.

The resulting list will show every ActiveX Control that Internet Explorer 7 has installed. If an ActiveX Control is causing the problem you're troubleshooting, it will be one listed here.

Select the first ActiveX Control listed, then click the Delete button in the Delete ActiveX area at the bottom of the window, and click OK.

If prompted to restart Internet Explorer, do so.

Red Devil 18:27 21 Aug 2008

Already tried this and the issue is that the damaged ActiveX control isn't listed in the manage addons menu.

:(((((

But thanks anyway.

mfletch 18:34 21 Aug 2008

Hi you could use Hijackthis to see if its listed under the 016

O16 - ActiveX Objects (aka Downloaded Program Files)

click here

HijackThis Tutorial & Guide

click here

Red Devil 18:36 21 Aug 2008

I have HijackThis and have used it in the past. Will give it a go.

Red Devil 18:50 21 Aug 2008

So that bit worked. Only problem is it won't download the ActiveX control from MSN Zone now. :((((

mfletch 19:16 21 Aug 2008

I dont use MSN but if you uninstall it then reinstall it it will ask you if you want to download the activex control

Red Devil 11:57 09 Sep 2008

I have now sussed out the original problem, that of not being able to install games on MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger by turning off my anti-virus program, AVG v8, while downloading them. Not fully comfortable about having my anti-virus off while downloading stuff but it seems the only way round it right now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?