cannot defrag

vs6gyrob 22:26 06 Jun 2009

Things seemed a bit slow so decided to defrag my C drive. First tried to analyze, and received the message "Aborted, due to inconsistencies in the file system .Run CHDSK or SCANDISK then run again".
Tried various ways ie 'disk clean-up , also defrag via CMD.. No joy; All other partitions on the hard drive defrag OK except C:.. Any suggestions re cause please? Thanks

Strawballs 22:40 06 Jun 2009

Try defragging in safe mode

Peter 23:36 06 Jun 2009

Have you run CHKDSK? If there are errors on the disk you will probably not be able to run DEFRAG until you have corrected them with CHKDSK.

Peter.

birdface 08:31 07 Jun 2009

Maybe try this.

click here

john bunyan 09:06 07 Jun 2009

Do run Superantispyware and Malawarebytes if you have them and also read this:
click here

vs6gyrob 16:57 07 Jun 2009

Many thanks indeed gents for the response.Namely 'strawballs'Peter.'buteman' and John Bunyan.. I hope you will not mind if I reply collectively..First of all, I did the CHKDSK ,and received."Warning !F,parameters not specified. Running CHKDSK in Read only mode"'. After running ,tried analyze, same problem.. I then downloaded 'Auslogics' ,Degfragged 'C'fine,went back to the XP defrag prog ,again same problem.. as suggested, ran my anti-spyware , all clean! For some reason cannot use 'Safe Mode' ?? ... strange; have never had cause to use it before.Started,and restarted, the computer looking for any info ,but nothing. My thanks to you all , even though 'C' seems to have defragged OK , I am quite puzzled Thanks again

get perfect disk or diskeeper both good google them

john bunyan 17:35 07 Jun 2009

In XP a similar effect to safe mode is if you go to Start, Run, then type in misconfig. Then select diagnostic start up.

vs6gyrob 19:02 07 Jun 2009

Hi 'tucker1975' Thanks to you also, for your input.as mentioned above,due to 'buteman',have downloaded a short version of a defrag programme i.e 'Auslogics,' which worked fine, but on your own suggestion I have also tried the 'Perfect Disk' prog,also a very good 'defragmenter'Asking myself,"why look for problems when these programmes are so good" ?? Thanks again vs6gyrob

vs6gyrob 20:04 07 Jun 2009

Hi again 'John Bunyan', Thanks for the suggestion, don't have much time right now , but will most certainly 'give it a go'... Best wishes vs6gyrob

bikerider1 00:07 25 Jun 2009

I looked at the information here and I noticed that you ran chkdsk but did not run it with the /f parameter. The /f parameter instructs Windows to fix any of the errors that you have on the drive. If this is your C: drive, the command would be:

chkdsk c: /f

Please note that once you do this command, you may be asked to restart your computer. The reason that your defragmentation programs are not working is that they will not defragment a drive which is in a "dirty" condition. This is to protect the data on the drive.

Once you get this to work, I would suggest that you download Diskeeper at click here to keep your drive defragmented and performing at its highest performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires