Cannot connect wirelessly but can thru' ethernet

ZootHornRollo 23:08 26 Mar 2010

My son's laptop refuses to connect wirelessly but once connected to the router via an ethernet cable it is fine. Unplug the cable and the connection is lost. I have tried switching router and laptop on and off and various diagnostic things on his laptop but the problem persists.

Any suggestions?

mgmcc 08:10 27 Mar 2010

You don't say which version of Windows you're using, but have you gone through the correct procedure to "Connect", i.e. scanned for Available Wireless Networks, selected the one whose SSID (network name) matches that of your router and clicked the button to "Connect"? You should be prompted to enter any WEP/WPA encryption key and then should connect and get an IP address.

sheila.weston 09:03 27 Mar 2010

I had the same problem and eventualy solved it. Good Luck!- see click here
and eventualy solved it. Good Luck!

dawood 11:38 03 Apr 2010

Check out these wireless network troubleshooting tips click here , maybe can help.

birdface 12:22 03 Apr 2010

I had the same problem with my grandaughters laptop.it will connect wired but not Using Wireless tried everything and finally gave up.
Connected through the ethernet cable it works fine and if you go into Device Manager.Network Adapters it gives you the Wireless connection on there.As soon as you try it without the Ethernet connection the wireless connection no longer shows in Network adapters.
Tried a wireless dongle and it worked fine for about a week then stopped working.
Tried updating the driver but no difference.
Hers was an HP laptop and it seems some of them do have problems with wireless connections which HP do not seem that interested in resolving.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?