Cannot connect to wireless network

MikeBack 21:29 23 Mar 2008

Hi

I have a Dell Laptop and a Netgear DG834N wireless router. The hard disk went on the laptop and it was replaced last week. I then set-up (restored) the MS XP pro OS software and reloaded all the drivers etal. The laptop connected to the router fine. Connected fine for 2 days.

I then installed Kaspersky Internet Suite and the connection worked for a few days, then it I could only connect at 1 mbps. The SSID could be seen intermittently through the XP Wireless config tool but was always visible through the Dell Config tool.

I removed the Kaspersky software and the connection worked fine all day today.

I rebooted the machine and now the Dell config tool sees the SSID while the MS XP tool does not.

I have tried to manage the connection through either tools and it will not connect.

I have the updated drivers for the Wireless card, most recent firmware for the Netgear router all the current MS XP updates. I have also gone through the complete MS and Dell trouble shooting steps.

My desktop is wired to the router and connects to the internet fine. When I wire the laptop to the router it connects to the internet fine. When the wireless was working the desktop saw the laptop fine over the LAN. When the wireless does not work the desktop does not connect to the laptop.

When the laptop will not connect to the Netgear it still sees all the neighbours wireless routers. In fact I have connected to a neighbours wireless and tested that the laptop is fully functional and works fine (peek connect at 54 mbps, usually at 24 mbps but their router is 50 meters and two brick walls away).

Bottom line is the Netgear router seems to be blocked by something. We know the laptop works because it is connecting to the neighbours.

Anyone have any ideas?

My gut feeling is it has something to do with Kaspersky Internet suite but I cannot find any body else with a solution.....

HELP!!!!

brundle 21:44 23 Mar 2008

Disable one of the wireless management tools for a start. I've always found the built-in one easiest to use personally, I just load the drivers alone for any wireless device. Anyway, disable one or t'other entirely and reboot. Have you reset the router lately?

MikeBack 21:51 23 Mar 2008

Hi

Router rebooted several times.

The dell utility is disabled and does not manage the connections. I have turned it off and on to see if it managed the connection any beeter but I prefer the XP utility like you.

brundle 22:10 23 Mar 2008

Is it possible a different neighbour is using the same channel and SSID, overpowering your signal?

MikeBack 22:24 23 Mar 2008

I have changed the channel a few times (1, 3, 5, 7) . The router does not alllow me to select a channel greater than 7 for some reason?

MikeBack 22:24 23 Mar 2008

I have changed the channel a few times (1, 3, 5, 7) . The router does not alllow me to select a channel greater than 7 for some reason?

brundle 23:19 23 Mar 2008

And you have a unique SSID ? I know you said the Dell wireless management software could detect it, but still worth asking. Can you neighbour's wireless eqpt detect your Netgear even when your machine can't?

brundle 23:21 23 Mar 2008

Is Kaspersky's firewall blocking a number of SVCHOST instances?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?