A couple of days ago when using my main computer as I went into IE7 to connect to the inmternet I was presented with a set-up screen for my Netgear Router. Switching to my AOL browser I got an error on connection, so I went through and reinstalled the info (passwords etc) into the router. I was then able to connect to the internet using either IE7 or AOL no problem, and haven't had a problem since.
However last evening my son couldn't connect his laptop to the internet using the wi-fi connection. It kept asking for a user name & password to connect to the network. I entered these but still nothing.
When I checked his available wi-fi connections the "home" (our household) connection wasn't showing, however one called "Netgear" was! He can connect to the internet by using a cable to the router but not via wi-fi.
Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong. My desktop runs XP SP2 connected to Virgin cable. My son's laptop runs Windows 7
It could be that the wi-fi part of your netgear router has developed a fault. I had a DG834G that developed a similar problem to the one you are describing. It worked fine as a wired router but not wi-fi. It would broadcast its configured SSID for a minute or two after reconfiguring but then the router would stop broadcasting or revert to broadcasting the factory default SSID.
I opened up the case to discover that it had a wireless card plugged into a socket inside the router, similar to the ones that fit inside laptops. I tried re-seating it but it didn't fix the problem. I bought a new router in the end.