Cannot connect to mail server.

Europa 15:44 20 Aug 2005

I have received my new computer today, and I have a bit of a problem setting my two mail accounts in Outlook Express.
I did input all the same settings like they were in my old computer (which I am using now, as I am more used to WinMe than Window XP),at least the ones I could see were common to the two operating systems. I can go on the internet, I have set the two accounts in Internet explorer, and they work, but I find impossible to retrieve my emails. those are the messages I've got after Outlook Express tried to connect to the server.
"The Server responded with an error. Account:'pop.madasafish.com', Protocol : POP3, Server Response : 'ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server : Cannot connect to mail server!' Port : 110, Secure (SSL) : No, Server Error : 0x800CCC90, Error Number : 0x800SCC90.
The other message is the same, but for the account 'Plusnet' and Server : 'mail.plus.net'
It must be a setting somewhere that needs to be rectified.
I have got AVG Professional as an antivirus software, I had problems with the free AVG antivirus software with my email in the past, I don't know if it is relevant here. It connects, but it never reached the other side.
Another thing, when it tries to connect, every minute a window pop up telling me if I want to wait for it to connect or to stop. It can try a few times before it connects, as I am on a dial up at the moment, but it gets on my nerves to have to click 'wait' every minutes. How can I get rid of it?
I thank you in advance.

Forum Editor 16:17 20 Aug 2005

You say that you can connect to the internet, but you're getting mail error messages - this could mean that you haven't configured Outlook Express correctly. You must enter a username and password, as well as the POP3 mailserver address before Outlook Express can connect to your inbound mail-server. You say that you've entered the server addresses, and they look OK to me, but have you entered a username ands password for each server? If you haven't, you'll be rejected.

A common cause of "cannot connect to the mail server" eror messages is that the computer is not actually online - people think they're connected when they're not. Can you access your ISP's webmail service, and read your email via Internet Explorer?

Confirm the situation with regards to the usernames/passwords, and we'll take it from there.

Diodorus Siculus 16:28 20 Aug 2005

How to deal with Outlook Express error 0x800ccc90
click here

Madasafish settings:
Mail:
Your e-mail Address is username@madasafish.com

Outgoing (SMTP) Mail server: mail.madasafish.com

Incoming (POP3) Mail Server: mail.madasafish.com

Your POP3 Login: username

Your POP3 password is the same as your login password.

Europa 16:50 20 Aug 2005

Forum Editor, I did enter the username and password for each of them. The same as my old computer. I've never used any of my ISPs webmail services, I always receive my emails straight in my computer through Outlook Express. I'll try to do what Diodorus Siculus suggests, then I'll report here, it may takes a while as I only got a monitor between the two, I've got to connect everything back to the new system.
See you later.

Europa 18:44 20 Aug 2005

Now, this is what I've done.
I've removed the madasafish account and enter all the informations again, I had started my password with a capital letter, I've found the email they send me when I register with them, there was no capital letters in my password. So I corrected it.
I haven't done anything to the other account (Plusnet), but I've changed the numbers of time the dial up had to try to connect before giving up, it was set at 3 times, I've set it to 5. That's all I did. Except for the password mistake, I don't understand what else could have been in the way, at least the Plusnet account should have worked properly.
I have send an email to each account with the other (from plusnet to Madasafish and from Madasafish to Plusnet), and it worked properly.
Thank god it wasn't something more sinister, now I can move to use my new system.
Saying that, I think I've got a problem with one of the fans, I think that fan suppose to start working when the system reach a certain temperature, when it reach 40degrees it tried to girate but it's like something is blocking it, and it whistles, I'll have to contact the seller monday and explain what's happened.

Diodorus Siculus 18:59 20 Aug 2005

How old is the PC? Have you looked inside the case to see if anything touches the fan?

Europa 10:58 21 Aug 2005

Forum Editor,
I started a new thread because I ticked it as resolved, but don't worry, I won't do it ever never again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?