Cannot connect to internet with wireless

FGHJK 21:46 17 Sep 2006

I have a laptop and 2 desktops that all connect to AOL through a Netgear router quite successfully. A 4th m/c a EiSystems laptop connects to the router just fine through a Belkin USB adapter. However whenever I try to connect to the internet the follwoing happens:

1. AOL does not find the new broadband connection
2. I manually search and add a new BB location
3. I launch AOL etc and get the error 'DNS server unavailable or unreachable'.
4. I have enabled Netbios over TCP
5. I have started the 'computer browser' thro. my computer.
6. AOL blame the adapter because the system works fine when hardwired through the router via cable.

What are the likely causes? Anything specific about the settings I need to check?

woodchip 22:14 17 Sep 2006

Nothing to do with Net BIOS You have to put Wireless settings in the Laptop Software that is in the Router into the Wireless computer Software. should be Wireless icon in System tray right click it to configure. you need SSID and passwords etc

FGHJK 22:23 17 Sep 2006

The wireless icon is set as access point and the Laptop (its LP2 for consistancy) is talking to router just fine. Its just AOL does not seem to want to use the wireless connection. I am using LP2 now but through a cable direct to router.

Sorry if being dim here, but got last 3 systems set up right and this one is being troublesome, cant help thinking its something basic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires